VMware Cloud Community
bigbigjon
Contributor
Contributor

Error no more space for virtual disk. Two 50TB vmdk into one 100TB VM Compatibility 9 or 11 with Win2012 Server

I have a VM that is currently under 5.1. It has 3 disks mounted 30GB, 50TB, and 50TB. Each vmdk is below the 62TB limit imposed. The location they are stored on have 117.3TB free. Inside of the VM I have bridged the 2 50TB volumes to get one 100TB volume.

I have been transferring data to the one larger volume (as windows now sees just the 1 volume, but in disk management is shows the two 50TB). I get error that the vmdk is full as it stands at 49.15TB of used space.

"There is no more space for virtual disk RF-DATA_1.vmdk. You might be able to continue this session by freeing disk space on the relevant volume, and clicking Retry. Click Cancel to terminate this session."

I know that there is a limitation on Virtual machines for a "virtual disk size" of "62TB"  with the volumes being 50TB I am below that limit.

There are currently no snapshots for this taking up any space.

It seems the issue is some how tied to the transfer maybe of the robocopy from another NFS share on our network to this VM and the VM not rolling the data to the other vmdk as stated in windows. .

Can someone possibly shed some light on this for me and help me with a solution to fixing this bridging issue between the two vmdks?

Here is a link to a older blog post on the idea, however it doesnt address the issue I am having.

Is Spanning VMDKs Using Windows Dynamic Disks a Good Idea? - VMtoday

I understand the issues presented with such a large volume in a single VM. I have a specific use case where all the files need to be co-located due to HPC Software limitations.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi hosts have different limits for the amount of the size of all open vmdks.
Your monster VM probably is getting close.

1. Log into vCenter Server or the ESXi/ESX host using the vSphere Client or VMware Infrastructure (VI) Client. If connecting to vCenter Server, select the ESXi/ESX host from the inventory.
  2. Click the Configuration tab.
  3. Click Advanced Settings.
  4. Select VMFS3.
  5. Chech value for VMFS3.MaxHeapSizeMB.

Post the result and also tell us which build you use.

0 Kudos
bigbigjon
Contributor
Contributor

pastedImage_1.png

This is one of 5 identical hosts

pastedImage_2.pngpastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos