VMware Cloud Community
nsusa
Contributor
Contributor

Equalogic - Array setup

We're looking at a new storage vendor and Dell came in with their Equalogics. So, from my understanding (how they explained it) all disk is presented as one big array and then you carve out logical layers as Luns.

Isn't that against the best practices? In the past on my SAN we matched physical arrays against logical Luns and that way completely separated out disk i/o. I am concerned with the Dell approach that the disk i/o will tank once I move a couple hundred VMs over (if it ever even gets to that point?).

Or can I create smaller different physical arrays/groups inside the Equalogic?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

The way the EqualLogic arrays work, it does a really, really, really good job... EqualLogic would match up your IOPS needs to the correct array model, to ensure you get optimal performance on it...

I've used their PS6000E array most recently (populated with 1TB SATA drives) and it didn't even blink with 50 VM's on it, across several LUNs... Our array (as well as array's set up at another company I've worked for) were configured as RAID 50 (not available on EMC storage)... One of the things I really like about the EqualLogic product is being able to set the arrays up in groups (and how they work the groups)... Basically, you have your first array, in the group, then you add another array (later) to that same group. Now you're using ALL the spindles for the LUNs (the array manages how it carves them up)... If the arrays are of different size, it just means that different amounts are taken from each drive in each array to best balance the loads.

You still size your LUNs properly, but now, you benefit from having more spindles to share the load. I would typically configure LUNs that were either 500GB or 1TB in size (depending on what was going onto them)...

From what you posted, it's probably going to mean you'll have to adjust how you think of storage... If you can, I would go arrange to visit their facility (it's fairly local to me, maybe 1 or 1-1/2 hours drive max)... You can also talk with their engineers to get a better handle on how the array's really work...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
nsusa
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. My concern is what happens when 300+ VMs are reading/writing to that large array at the same time - even though they sit on properly sized Luns with no more than 15-20 VMs per Lun. In my case this would be striped across 60 disks.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

I would probably use smaller LUN's (keeping in the 10-15 VM's per LUN range) on the array then... If the drives are high speed SAS (15k rpm) or SSD, then I don't think you'll have anything to worry about... Even 10k rpm drives should do a reasonable job of things.

Have Dell/EqualLogic provide you with contacts to other places that are using the SAN's in the same way, with the same (or close enough) configuration... Find out how the implementation went, as well as how things are performing today... You might get some additional information that way. Such as use one setting, instead of another, to get even better performance from the array/SAN...

Also get the names of at least one VMware Premium partner that's done implementations (more than a few) of the array you're looking at, being used the way you need to... I think you'll get more solid feedback from them (as long as they're not going to try and sell you on something else, like another brand that has a better margin for them)...

Which model SAN are you looking at??

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
qwert1235
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's exactly what I did when used Equalogic.

It's a great array, simple to use, great performance, no headache... I really liked it

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

To increase the scalability (that is limited on the PS4000 model) you can use VAAI:

http://www.2vcps.com/2010/10/07/how-vaai-helps-equallogic/

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
Igor_The_Great
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If I remember correctly PS arrays have internal to array SP failover capability. From user perspective all you see is a single IP from array side, but on the background they got ~6 uplinks or so(depends on your configuration as well). I believe that the aray is smart enough to spread the load accross links if it is necessary. If performance is really an issue - having smaller LUNs with fewer VM's (as was mentioned in the other thread) will help.

-Igor

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.

-Igor If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos