Contributor
Contributor

EVA 4400 and Controller

Environment

Running vSphere 4.0(no updates)

HP EVA4400 providing all storage to all hosts

20 production vms

10 pre-prod vms

Storage is all configured as MRU, RR not in use as we running a number of vms as MSCS.

Recently we had EVA controller A fail due to a cache battery, as expected all vSphere Paths failed over to the second controller, B . So now all storage traffic is going via the second controller(B), how do we fail back some of the virtual servers back to controller 1(A), there seems to be no way in either vsphere or the eva.

Currently all pre-prod vms are off and it is reported that there are no performance issues. When pre-prod was brought up the servers(prod and pre-prod) were going via the same controller(b) , though I was away and no actually data was collected to baseline this, but they reported performance issues.,

When you look at the EVA the vdisks are all set to either Path A-Failover/failback or Path B-Failover/failback, but all vdisks have the Managing Controller as B.

If for example I mark Controller B paths inactive in the VIClient for one lun then the path does fail over to the Controller A path but as soon as I make Controller B paths active again the active I/O path is marked as the one to Controller B.

The same if I change the path policy to fixed, mark Controller B paths as down and make Controller A the preferred path, then make Controller B paths active and the path policy MRU the path defaults to Controller B as the active one.

Reading this blog;[http://frankdenneman.nl/2009/02/hp-continuous-access-and-the-use-of-lun-balancing-scripts/] though it refers to ESX3.5 it says I

"If the EVA array detects, in a period of 60 minutes, that at least 66% of the total read request to a LUN are proxy reads, ownership is transitioned to the non-owning proxy controller and making it the owning controller"

So is this saying I just need to leave the environment for a while and it will work which is the right controller for each vdisk?

Thanks

Nigel

0 Kudos
1 Reply
CSHAW78
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Nigel

I've seen this before and I had to change the setting manually in command View EVA before my VM started to use both controllers again.

This is what worked for me

Log onto command view EVA

Select a vDisk

Select presentation

Select Prefered path/mode to No prefereance

Select Save Changes

Select Prefered Path/mode to Path A-Filover/failback

Select Save Changes

The Managing controller will now change to Controller A

Refresh the path data in VMware and for the LUN and the change will be picked up.

Regards

Chris

0 Kudos