VMware Cloud Community
PV04
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi Hosts Cannot See HP P4500 SAN LUNs?

Hi All,

I am fairly new to the world of vmware, but basically my current setup is below:

3 x ESXi Hosts running vSphere 5 (2 x Prod & 1 x DR Site with Replication)

2 x Node HP4500 Virtualisation SAN with approx 7.2TB of Storage (Raid 5)

2 x 10gbe Connections from Hosts to SANs

vSwitch Configs:

1 x vMotion vSwitch (1Gbe)

1 x Management vSwitch (1Gbe)

4 x VM Network vSwitch (1Gbe)

2 x Storage (10gbe)

I have configured the Storage vSwitch so that I have both Active-Active  w Route based Load Balancing.  I have also managed to create my Storage Adapter, and have setup the Discovery method to use Dynamic, with an IP Address of one of the SANs set.

However, my ESX Hosts still do not see the LUNS....Is there something I am missing?  Any urgent replies are most welcome!

PV04.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TedH256
Expert
Expert

well you need to use the VIP address as the discovery address - not one of the P4000 VSA nodes. That could be the problem, perhaps?

Otherwise, it would likely either:

1)a network problem - you can test whether the hosts can ping the iSCSI storage addresses, and you can also do a 'vmkping" to test specifically the vmkernel ports that are iSCSI enabled

2)did you create hosts in the P4000 CMC using the correct iSCSI iqn for each hosts software iSCSI adapter?

3)did you create the volumes and then present them to the hosts?

DavidKlee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Like the previous post said, check the simple stuff. Are you using CHAP authentication? Is the VIP being used instead of the individual nodes? Are the hosts authenticated to connect via iSCSI IQN name?

David Klee | Founder and Chief Architect | Heraflux Technologies | dklee@heraflux.com
PV04
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, hmm so I believe I haven't done either of steps 2 and 3 as I'm not too familiar with the CMC Console and how to present the LUNS to the Hosts..I will need to investigate further, thanks.

0 Kudos
PV04
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Again,

So I have now managed to create a new Cluster for both my Hosts, and have assigned a LUN to this Cluster.

I have also edited both Storage Adapters Properties to propagate the relevant Discovery Method and have entered my VIP Address as the Dynamic Discovery address.  However, after a rescan, my LUN has still not shown up!?  Any further thoughts are most welcomed!  Smiley Happy

Also, what do you believe will need to be left to configure after I have my LUNs and VMFS Stores up and running, apart from vMotion, DRS etc would I be safe enough to provision new VMs and have a play after I present my Storage?

Thanks

0 Kudos
TedH256
Expert
Expert

I don't know what this:

"So I have now managed to create a new Cluster for both my Hosts, and have assigned a LUN to this Cluster."

means?

Whether or not your hosts are in a vmware cluster is irrelevant to their ability to see storage. Also, within the CMC it is not possible to :"assign a LUN to" a cluster object - so, on the basis of this vague description I suppose that most likely you have not properly created the SERVER objects in the CMC - each of these objects represents your actual hosts, and each server object has to have the unique iSCSI identifier (an "iqn") associated with that particular host.

Has that been done?

Then, once done, you can right-click on a volume and and "present" the volume to the hosts objects that you created. If they are configured with the correct iqn information, and if you have correct network communication between the hosts and the iSCSI san components, then it will work.

0 Kudos