VMware Cloud Community
mbarnesotn
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.0.0,3029758 missing Lun after long power failure

Good morning,

I have a test environment for our main software.  This environment includes a Synology model DS1515+ (version DSM 6.0-7321 Update 7) with an 8 TB volume.   Over the weekend our facility lost power for a couple of hours.  During this time, the UPS ran out of juice and both the synology and the esxi lost power.  This morning when I came in I noticed that I could not reach our Test vm and started looking at host.  I found that the datastore that the vm is on is missing.  I checked and the iscsi adapter is still showing as attached but the lun itself is not showing.

I've checked through several google posts and KB articles but nothing that helps for this version of esxi.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Anyone have suggestions or help?  Should I remove the iscsi adapter, reattach it and scan again?  I'm about to check the logs on the host to see if I can get more info but to be honest, I have a hard time following them at times.

Thank you for any help.

Mike

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

First things first: check if the VMFS partition is still defined with partedUtil

0 Kudos
mbarnesotn
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone know if it is OK to remove the inaccessible VM from memory, remove the iSCSI software Adapter (if I can) and then try to reattach?

As I stated earlier, this is a Synology model DS1515+ with DSM 6 update 7.  Any problems with this configuration that anyone knows of?

Thank you

Mike

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Do you still see a VMFS partition with partedUtil ?
A powerfailure often results in a blank partitiontable so it makes sense to check this first.

0 Kudos
mbarnesotn
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you continuumcontinuum for responding.  Fortunately the problem was much simpler.

Apparently when we lost power another ESXi host came up first and the synology attached itself to it instead of our test lab.  I did not realize that iSCSI would do that dynamically.  We had never set that esxi host up to use that iscsi connection.

Anyway, we have fixed that problem and everything is good to go.

Thank you

Mike

Moderators, I am not sure how to close this discussion. Can you help? 

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

We dont close discussiona - only in case it gets to aggressive or rude.
So now need in this case.

0 Kudos