VMware Cloud Community
Fvenezian
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5 shows a datastore with no free space but it's empty

Hi all,

We have a HP P2000 FC storage and I did set up a new 2.4 Tb LUN and presented it to the ESXi cluster.

All the hosts can see it fine ( Capacity 2.18 Tb and Free Space 2.18 Tb ). See highlighted AS1DR_FR5_L13

AS1DR_a.jpg

The issue occurs when I add a new 2 TB virtual disk to one of the guests....

AS1DR_b.jpg

Then after creating the disk, the datastore is showing with 184.29 Gb free only but there is nothing in there.

AS1DR_c.jpg

I did delete the Volume and vDisk on the HP P2000 storage, created it again with different sizes but I'm having the same results.

Do you guys have any idea on what is going on ?

Cheers

Fabio

0 Kudos
9 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Create virtual disk of less than 2TB, like 2TB-512b. Then check it out, since exact 2TB is not supported.

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
Fvenezian
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mohammed, thanks for your replay.

Actually this was the first thing I tried. I created a 1.5 TB virtual disk just now but no luck.

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is this ESXi 5.1 with latest patches?

I only ask because I have that exact SAN and haven't had this issue on the current version.

0 Kudos
Fvenezian
Contributor
Contributor

Hi John

This is ESXi 5.0.0 623860. It should no be the issue. I was able to do the same operation to another vms and had no issues.

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

So create new blank VM and then create vmdk of your size . Once VM  is created add this VMDK to existing vm ( Original VM ).

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you connect to the ESXi host directly using root credentials on vsphere client and check if you notice the same status....

0 Kudos
Fvenezian
Contributor
Contributor

no, none of these worked.

Weird as it was working fine till three weeks ago and nothing got changed.

I will schedule an upgrade to 5.1 and see if I have better luck.

0 Kudos
rm3na
Contributor
Contributor

Did you resolve this problem? I'm having the exact same issue... :S

0 Kudos
Fvenezian
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to resolve after upgrading to ESX 5.1 and created a new and bigger LUN on the Storage.

0 Kudos