VMware Cloud Community
hics0
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1 software iscsi static discovery errors

Dynamic discovery is working fine, but if I delete the iscsi server registration from the dynamic discovery tab and then try define a target in the static discovery tab pointing to the same iscsi server I get the following error:

Call "HostStorageSystem.AddInternetScsiStaticTargets" for object "storageSystem" on ESXi "avms0002" failed.
Operation failed, diagnostics report:
iScsiLibException: status(c0000000): Invalid parameter; Message= IMA_AddStaticDiscoveryTarget

Should I be able to use static discovery only with ESXi 4.1?  If so, any suggestions on how to get this working?

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mphodge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I got the exact same issue with ESXi 5.0 trying to re-add a static target after I had just removed it...

Call "HostStorageSystem.AddInternetScsiStaticTargets" for object "storageSystem-23" on vCenter Server "vCenter" failed.
Operation failed, diagnostics report: iScsiLibException: status(c0000000): Invalid parameter; Message= IMA_AddStaticDiscoveryTarget

If you close the iSCSI Initiator dialog box, let it rescan, then open and re-add the static target it worked then. Maybe it's a bug?

0 Kudos
hics0
Contributor
Contributor

This doesn't work in my environment.  After deleting a dynamic discovery server, I can't add any static targets without the error mentioned.  The targets listed in the static targest window are still accessible and current sessions are maintained.  However, once I reboot the ESXi host, those targets are lost and I have to add the storage server back to the dynamic discovery window.

So, if this is supposed to work, I would like to have someone confirm that.  Otherwise the ESXi 4.1 iSCSI SAN configuration guide should be updated to indicate that iSCSI static discovery targets aren't support when using the iSCSI software adapter.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
LukesterOne
Contributor
Contributor

Can confirm this issue on ESXi 5

0 Kudos
hics0
Contributor
Contributor

Just to confirm, are you saying that with ESXi 5.0 you CAN add static discovery targets using the software iscsi adapter without adding Send Targets in the Dynamic Discovery tab?

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
LukesterOne
Contributor
Contributor

No, I met that I have the same behaviour in ESXi 5 than you have in 4.1. (Same error message as in 4.1)

As soon as I get back to my test environment I’ll continue investigation on this.

Sorry for replying that late but I’m very busy at this time.

So after a lot of googling. And a fresh install of my ESXi 5 i could not reproduce the error again.

So iscsi works in ESXi 5, to be clear i am only using static targets.

However before succeeding in getting the iscsi static target to work, i had to enable jumbo frames on my physical network switch.

Otherwise I had to set MTU to 1500 to get this to work.

Message was edited by: LukesterOne

0 Kudos