VMware Cloud Community
PhilMarsden
Contributor
Contributor

ESX4 Update 1 (U1) and WUDSS iSCSI Target not compatible

I just upgraded one of my ESX4 servers to Update 1and now all my iSCSI (software initiator) traffic times out so my ESX server is unusable.

I use a WUDSS iSCSI Target which is not on the HCL although WUDSS is used by quite a few HP Storage servers which are on the HCL

I raised an SR and they said that as WUDSS wasn't explicitly on the HCL

they couldn't help and that my best bet was to re-install my ESX Server

with the pre-update1 version of ESX.Great Smiley Sad

Anyone else using a WUDSS based iSCSI target with Update 1 ?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mrudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hiya,

According to the HCL, WUDSS IS supported on ESX 4.0u1

Granted, the HCL only mentiones HP as underlaying hardware, but the next common part between ESX and SAN is obviously the network layer.

Now most server motherboards using the 825xx chipset, which is also supported, here as example 82576 which my server has onboard:

If you don't use the onboard nic, then again, most intel cards using the same or similar chipeset, which again, most of them are supported (haven't check nics such as broadcom etc.).

So why do they say it is not supported ?!? According to the HCL list WUDSS seems to be supported under the following conditions

1. You use fixed paths (VMW_PSP_FIXED)

2. Single Controller is used - I assume they refer to a single NIC ?

3. Buslogic virtual adapter is not supported

The default is LSI Logic Parallel, so unless you have changed that to Buslogic I don't see ANY reason why it SHOULD'T work ..

0 Kudos
titanlee
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Phil

Mike (above post) upgraded one of his boxes to Update 1 (Build 208167). He hasn't had any issues and obviously our wudss boxes will be the same as yours.

Lee.

0 Kudos
PhilMarsden
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Mike,

Your post got me thinking and I realised that we had 2 WUDSS servers and only one wasn't working. The only difference was that the non-working one had an additonal Intel Gigabit ET Dual Port NIC PCI-e card in and was using that for multipathing.

When I disabled the card on the WUDSS server - everything sprang into life and is now working. Granted I haven't got multipath but at least I have VMs that power on. Its just such a shame that

(a) it all worked fine on ESX4 pre update1

(b) VMWare are unwilling to work with me to diagnose the problem as it is "not officially on the HCL"

Phil

0 Kudos
mrudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Phil,

I am glad you got it working. I am wondering if the comment "only supported with one controller" was mentioned prior November 19 (when the HCL was updated based on 4.0u1).

But I agree, vmware support is sometimes questionable. We had one particulay case open for 7 month where vmware kept blaming pink screens on different motherboard or raid bios versions even though the hardware was on the HCL.

7 month later a patch was released and a bug finally acknowledged ...

0 Kudos
ceemour
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

sorta esx4i u1 works fine with ms iscsi target 3.2 (win 2008 storage server)

0 Kudos