VMware Cloud Community
BennieboyUK
Contributor
Contributor

ESX4.1 and MD3200i Pathing Issues

Hi Folks,

New to this forum community, so please bare with me if this is in the wrong place or the detail isnt quite as much as you require. We have just purchased an MD3200i, which is connected to five ESX4.1 hosts (upgrade pending next quarter)

I used the following as a reference during the install and configuration "MD3200i/MD3600i Deployment Guide for VMware ESX4.1"; http://i.dell.com/sites/content/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/VMware_ESX_4-1_Deployment_Gu...

After configuring the host groups, luns, preferred paths to the host, I added one of the MD's iSCSI interface IP to the ESX and started a rescan of the HBA's. Doing this populated all the LUNs I created as expected. Creating the new VMware Data Store also worked as expected. Then a rescan of all of the hosts reflected the new Data Store.

Having then created a few virtual machines on the new Data Store, I started getting 10's of emails from VC stating the following:

Target: ESX01

Stateless event alarm

Alarm Definition:

([Event alarm expression: Lost Storage Connectivity] OR [Event alarm expression: Lost Storage Path Redundancy] OR [Event alarm expression: Degraded Storage Path Redundancy])

Event details:

Path redundancy to storage device naa.6782bcb0005a086600000b2650786461 degraded. Path vmhba39:C8:T0:L2 is down. Affected datastores: "MD3200-VMFS-02".

Once they start, I get this email repeating every 30-40 minutes, even though the alarm is set to send once - so it must be a repeating error.

If I look at the host in question, and look at the "paths" of the Data Store, it shows some (not all) of the paths as DEAD. Only a reboot of the host seems to clear these dead paths. I dont get any disconnections from the Data Store and no virtual machines are affected.

The event log that is registered in the MD3200i is as follows:

Date/Time: 1/23/13 1:04:40 PM
Sequence number: 11555
Event type: 180D
Description: iSCSI session terminated unexpectedly

I have been searching and searching online for a solution for this, and there are many suggestions, all of which have not helped. The current setup is as follows:

MD3200i:

All controller interfaces are active and configured on the same subnet, Jumbo Frames are disabled.

Network interfaces on core switch (Cisco 6500E) are set to corresponding iSCSI VLAN and MTU 1500

VMware Host:

One vSwitch for iSCSI traffic

Two VMKernel Ports, with two physical interfaces.

Network interfaces set to MTU1500, vSwitch set to MTU 1500

Can anyone shed any light on why this error gets flagged by VMware - its killing me!

Thanks

Ben

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the communities.

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware ESX™ 4 to VMware vSphere™ Storage

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Here is KB  that you can refer to start investigating this  issue.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1009553

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
BennieboyUK
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the KB Link I will start running through those tasks and get back to you.

0 Kudos