VMware Cloud Community
FarooqPasha
Contributor
Contributor

ESX doesnt Ping After reboot

We have ESX 4 Update 1 installed on 2 of our servers. The interesting thing is when I reboot the server, we cannot ping the console once its up. It has 3 vmnics assigned to it even though it doesnt ping. I tried to recreate the switch, create port group, edit and all,and that was a work around for few times, once the server gets rebooted, it will never ping again. If you see the physical console, it will show the correct IP but will not be accessible from our network..

I recreated switch.

Recreated Port groups

ReCreated vswif0

And one more thing is when you add one more console as back up and then access it, it will be fine, BUT after the reboot the new service console also will be inaccessible.

Why this is happening as ESX doesnt ping once we reboot.

Any Idea????

I reallly need some help on this. I cannot waste my time anymore.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

This happens only in one ESX? Seems lika a physical switch problem, maybe (mac registering, arp table, etc). Can you try using a different nic in a different port as the console network?

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
binoche
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1, if you log in ESX console, can you ping its ip and its gateway ip?

2, if you reboot, can you make sure all networking changes saved? if not,does the vmkernel log have failure messages? thanks

binoche, VMware VCP, Cisco CCNA

0 Kudos
bggb29
Expert
Expert

I ran into a similar issue when I had to change the gateway on my service console try this the next reboot at the server console or via a drac or il

esxcfg-vswif -E

this enables all the vswif consoles.

0 Kudos
FarooqPasha
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks all for your help.

I tried several things from commandline as I cannot access through VI as its not pinging. The Solution was to remove vmnic0 from vSwitch0. I think this has some issue. When I add it it works for some time and after reboot it goes not responding. So I removed it . it works fine., I need to check with Network and local onsite guys as why its so.

0 Kudos