VMware Cloud Community
djrc
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 4.1 iSCSI connection to Netgear ReadyNAS2100

Trying to create an software iSCSI connection from my ESX 4.1 box to a Netgear ReadyNAS2100

Networking setup :

I have using a dedicated NIC both on the ESX and on the ReadyNAS.

On the ESX I have defined a VMkernel (192.168.3.3) and Service console (192.168.3.1) on vmnic2 (see attached screenshot).

On the ReadyNAS I have defined one of the NIC with 192.168.3.2

NFS access is working fine, I managed to create a share on the NAS and create a datastore on the ESX

iSCSI fails to find any targets even though I have enabled iSCSI on the ReadyNAS and enabled the iSCSI Initiator on the ESX with a send target server settings 192.168.3.2

I have tried both with and without CHAP authentication.

Any ideas how to get this to work ?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
PaulusG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello djrc,

How did you connect the dedicated NIC and the storage box?

By means of a switch or a direct connection.

If a direct connection, did you tried a cross cable?

If a switch, what happens when you also connect a computer with an IP address, like 192.168.3.10

BTW it seems that the screenshots were not posted

In case of trouble, start without CHAP authentication, When everythings works fne, add CHAP.

Paul Grevink

Twitter: @PaulGrevink

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Paul Grevink Twitter: @PaulGrevink http://twitter.com/PaulGrevink If you find this information useful, please consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
djrc
Contributor
Contributor

It's connected through a switch, it works fine as an NFS store.

I first tied without CHAP, then was advised by the Netgear support to switch it on to see if it was required on the ESX side.

What do you mean by put a computer on the switch and see what happens ?

Trying to upload the screenshots again...

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Have you tried using the Dynamic Discovery instead of static??

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
djrc
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I have tried both manual and automatic discovery. any other idea, place to look for troubleshooting ?

0 Kudos
PaulusG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If NFS was available over the same network connection, there is little need testing the connection with a extra PC

It is not necessary to enable CHAP from VMware perspective.

Since VMware ESX 4.0 (vSphere), imho there is no need to add a service console to the vSwitch designated for storage

Did you follow all steps as described in the ESX Configuration Guide?

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_esx_server_config.pdf#page=67

and

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_esx_server_config.pdf#page=90

Paul Grevink

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Paul Grevink Twitter: @PaulGrevink http://twitter.com/PaulGrevink If you find this information useful, please consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
djrc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that.

I've read the documents and the only thing that I might be doing wrong is using a 100MBps switch.

So I'll try and get my hands on a Gigabit switch, do you think it's the reason why it's not even detected though ?

I would have though having slower speed would just affect performance but that you would be able to configure the array.

Quote from page 67 of ESX Configuration Guide.

n If you have a single physical NIC, create one iSCSI port on a vSwitch connected to the NIC. VMware

recommends that you designate a separate network adapter for iSCSI. Do not use iSCSI on 100Mbps or

slower adapters.

0 Kudos
PaulusG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello drjc,

I would think, using a (100 MB/s) switch you should at least be able to set up a connection.

Indeed it is highly advised to have a Gigabit switches in an iSCSI storage network. If it is for testing purposes, a cross cable is an option?

BTW isthe storage box supported by VMware (on the HCL)?

Paul Grevink

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

PaulusG: You could have taken the two minutes to check the VMware HCL to see that the device IS listed there as both iSCSI and NAS (iSCSI for 4.0-4.1, NAS for 3.5-4.1)...

Knowing how VMware is on their requirements, I would suggest establishing a Gb connection to the device and try again over iSCSI... Gb switches are so bleeding cheap these days it's not even funny. Although a GOOD one won't be as cheap. Then there's the ones with full management options (like CLI) and more advanced features that cost more too... To me, money well spent since you really don't need to get them too often. Plus, the better ones come with lifetime warranties on them (like the HP ProCurve switches)... Your port count needs really will dictate price here...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
Igor_The_Great
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is correct - iSCSI requires a 1GbE connection - 100mbps is not supported and will not work.

-Igor

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.

-Igor If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
djrc
Contributor
Contributor

Still not working with a 1Gbps switch... any other idea to get the iSCSI up and running ?

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Here is a walkthrough, from the readyNas site:

http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=772

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You most likely haven't added your vmkernel portgroup IP address as a host allowed to connect to the iSCSI target on the netgear.

Whoever said that an iSCSI connection will not work on a 100mbps link is wrong. You can most certainly connect at slower speeds, you will just experience heart stopping latency with any type of load. The fact that you can connect to it via NFS means your cabling is right. What I would be concerned about is that you have bound your vmkernel portgroup to your iSCSI adapter. Make sure you can vmkping the netgear from the console of the ESX server as well.

cd.

0 Kudos