VMware Cloud Community
arie1
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 4.1 Slow Boot

Hey All,

Since upgrading a few "test hosts" to ESX 4.1 I have very slow boot times. In the past I resolved this by setting the following advanced setting values.

Scsi.ConflictRetries = 20

Scsi.UWConflictRetries = 80

I believe the root cause of this is because we have a MSCS within the VM cluster. Now under ESX 4.1 I don't see these options available anymore, is there an alternative way to resolve this problem? 30min+ boot time isn't really acceptable Smiley Happy

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KenOsborn
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

With ESX 4.x you can check the value of ConflictRetries using:

esxcfg-advcfg -g /Scsi/ConflictRetries

(If you upgraded it should have retained the previous value).

You can set a new value using the -s flag instead of -g

This value is also exposed via the GUI (Virtual Infrastructure Client) -- you can see more on this at the following link (including observation from another user who looks to have experienced the same thing you are seeing):

http://www.jonathanmedd.net/2010/06/esxi-4-0-slow-boot-times-when-hosting-passive-mscs-nodes-with-rd...

Thanks and good luck,

-Ken

0 Kudos
Sanktuary
Contributor
Contributor

any news here?

Got the Same Problem.

Cant finde the correct place in the Advanced Config. over the normal cli the command also not work.

A bit a differeance is there if got a ESX4.1i

Kind regards

Florian

0 Kudos
joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

are you using qlogic hba´s?

0 Kudos
Sanktuary
Contributor
Contributor

Jup 2x

QLogic Corp. ISP2432-based 4Gb Fibre Channel

0 Kudos
joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ok. qlogic driver will take a quite long time to fully init during 4.1 boot, if you have a dual port or two adapters it will take even longer. nothing i am aware of by now you can do about that.

best regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
Sanktuary
Contributor
Contributor

Any News here?

Got the Second ESX4.1i live but got the same prob. I think its not only the qlogic.....

Well Well did everyone knows something about patches from vmware witch helps to reduce the boot times in that cases. i saw there are also a lot of probs with netapp devices ;/

0 Kudos