VMware Cloud Community
listener
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 4.0 iSCSI Timeouts

Are the following iSCSI timeouts available in ESX 4.0? I don't know where to set these now that /etc/vmkiscsi.conf no longer exists.

thanks

LoginTimeout=

AuthTimeout=

ConnFailTimeout=

DiskCommandTimeout=

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
paithal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

These are not tunable. Can I ask why would want to do that ?.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
paithal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

These are not tunable. Can I ask why would want to do that ?.

0 Kudos
listener
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In ESX 3.5 I used them with my 10g sw iscsi setup. It kept things from timeout if I had a failure (a fault) on the controller that I was using (NetApp in this case).

That's too bad they aren't tunable in 4.0. Smiley Sad It doesn't seem to be causing huge problems yet. I'm kinda paranoid I'm going to lose a windows VM without the timeouts though.

thanks!

0 Kudos
paithal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I am not clear which param would have helped you or under what scenario the parameters helped. Was it during network outage ? Cluster failover ?. I am trying to get better understanding on the problem so we may see if there is any other way to solve your issue. The problem with tuning these params is that it affects overall failover time which may lead to different issue.

0 Kudos
listener
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When the NetApp controller fails over from one controller head to another. Sometimes I noticed, this isn't always so quick! There's a point where the network is down, or in a waiting for state

0 Kudos