VMware Cloud Community
hellraiser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX 3.5 to vSphere update - how to re-configure iSCSI?

I have just upgraded an ESX 3.5 cluster on a pair of Dell R710s with an Equallogic PS4000 and PS4000XV iSCSI SAN, all is working fine but I now wish to reconfigure iSCSI to take advantage of the performance benefits of vSphere. I currently have 4 onboard LAN ports going into the iSCSI switches, so I have created a new vSwitch with jumbo frames enabled, and have assigned 4 VMKernel ports to it. I can't assign the physical adapters at the moment, as they are assigned to the other vSwitch which is running the current iSCSI config, so how do I re-configure? I am thinking of doing it this way, can anyone see any flaws in this plan?

Migrate VMs off the one host to the other, so no VMs are on there

Disable iSCSI software adapter

Remove physical adapters from existing iSCSI vswitch

Attach physical adapters to new iSCSI vswitch

Map VMKernel ports on a 1:1 basis to the 4 individual LAN adapters

Enable iSCSI software adapter

Will this work?

Cheers

JD

CompTIA A+ Network+

vmware VCP 3

JD
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Andy_Banta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Disable iSCSI software adapter

Remove physical adapters from existing iSCSI vswitch

Attach physical adapters to new iSCSI vswitch

Map VMKernel ports on a 1:1 basis to the 4 individual LAN adapters

Enable iSCSI software adapter

This will work. Keep in mind that the iSCSI vmkernel ports don't have to be on the same vSwitch. They can be mixed and matched however you'd like.

If the only reason to move the PNICs to the new vSwitch is to enable jumbo frames, you can move two of them to the new switch, make the 1-to-1 mapping, and start using those for iSCSI traffic, then remove the other two from the original switch, attach them to the new switch, and bring them up later. This way, you should only momentarily lose iSCSI connectivity when you make the transition from the original vSwitch to the new one.

Remember to:

- Add the vmknics to the iSCSI configuration.

- Enable jumbo frames on both the vSwitch and each of the vmkNICs.

Both of these topics are covered pretty well in

http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2009/09/a-multivendor-post-on-using-iscsi-with-vmware-vs...

It's worth a read if you haven't, already.

Andy

hellraiser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cheers for that, will let you know how I get on.

Regards

JD

CompTIA A+ Network+

vmware VCP 3

JD
0 Kudos