VMware Cloud Community
vinay1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX 3.5/4 not able to connect

Hi Guys,

I am not able to connect to my ESX 3.5/4.0 from putty and also vSphere Client but able to access from vCenter Server. just want to know is there anyother option to connect to ESX 3.5/4.0 apart from putty and vSphere Client.

regards

VINAY

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JCMorrissey
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Have you verified your ssh service is running?

Check under security profile for the status of the service.

Alternatively if you iLO/iDrac to the server console run

# service sshd restart

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... http://johncmorrissey.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Do you have any firewalls in place which restrict access to the hosts?

André

0 Kudos
vinay1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi JCMorrissey,

i conected to Dell DRAC but can not see any command window to run # service sshd restart.

This is ESX box.

regards

VINAY

0 Kudos
nightnicon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For ESX 3.5 just connect to the local console and press Alt-F1 to get to the console as it states on the splash screen.

For ESXi 4.1 you need to enable tech support mode first so connect to the console then go down to Troubleshooting Options and select Enable Local Tech Support and or Enable Remote Tech Support (SSH)

To get to the local tech support now press Alt-F1 and login.

0 Kudos
vinay1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i tried to connect to the console of ESX from IE but couldnt or suggest me if doing in wrong way

Vinay

0 Kudos
rajeshcloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Are you able to ping esx server from your local machine (Vi client). May be your vi client version is not suported for the esx server.

If you want to access esx throuh ssh remotly.

Please follow the steps to enable ssh

On the console of the server, press ALT and F2 buttons to show a login prompt. Log in as root.

Goto  vi /etc/ssh/sshd_config

find the line that says:
PermitRootLogin no

Insted of no change to yes and press esc and save file

Next restart sshd service by typing

service sshd restart

and restart mgmt services also

service mgmt-vmware restart

Regards,Rajesh, if you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"
0 Kudos
nightnicon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VINAY SINGH wrote:

i tried to connect to the console of ESX from IE but couldnt or suggest me if doing in wrong way

Vinay

You can't get to the console via IE unless you are using ILO to get to the console.

you need to use SSH or be physically at the terminal or connected via ILO or KVM.

0 Kudos