VMware Cloud Community
BrendanMarmont
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Disconnected ESXi - Multiple dead paths to storage

We have a production ESXi5 host that is in a disconnected state, there are several live vms hosted on this node. The host was rescanned with a dead LUN (Removed from the SAN without being unmounted and detached via viclient first DOH!)

I've been able to recover all hosts bar one, by using the cli 'esxcli storage core adapter rescan --all' command

The last host just says "Connect to localhost failed'

I've checked the /etc/hosts file and all is well. The hostname, IP is pingable locally and remotely.

I can run other commands on the shell ok.

I know bouncing the host will sort it out, however I'd prefer to resolve the issue without restarting vms :smileylaugh:

Any ideas?

Brendan

0 Kudos
6 Replies
iw123
Commander
Commander

Have you tried the rescan using the VI client, connected directly to the host? Do you see anything in the log files regarding the attempted rescan?

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
BrendanMarmont
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The host is in a disconnected state. I therefore can't rescan via viclient.

Cheers,

Brendan

Sent from smartphone.

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Disconnected in vCenter, but if its on the network you should still be able to connect your viclient to the host directly - bypassing vcenter.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You need to mask the path of the LUN in question and then do a rescan of the HBA's. If you are lucky the rescan will happen and the host may come back to life. Otherwise you are looking at trying to gracefully power down the VM's and rebooting the host.

cd.

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

brendan is rescanning via 'esxcli storage core adapter rescan --all' command
so even if he connect via vi client directly it would be the same result if he can connect at all.

drysdale solution is probably the only one, otherwise reboot it is.

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
BrendanMarmont
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After several hours, the command 'esxcli storage core adapter rescan -all' became available, all vms came back up. I moved all the vms to another host, enabled HA and bounced the host for good measure. Cheers

0 Kudos