VMware Cloud Community
khenry567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Differences in vm disk size and space used in storage view

Hey folks,

I am seeing what appears to be discrepancy's between the size of data on the vm disks and the stated "virtual disk space" with "thin" disks.  I have one particular vm that I will relate, but there are several vms with the same problem.

Storage Views for vm

"Space Used" = 38.18gb

"Provisioned Space" = 41.01gb

"Uncommitted Space" = 2.83gb

"Virtual Disk Space" = 37.17gb

there are two disks(datastorage vmdk size)

vmdk1 = 18,191,360 kb

vmdk2 = 15,414,270 kb

vmdk1 = C: , setup thin for 20gb,  disk manager reports free space of 3.51gb on a 19.99gb disk

vmdk2 = 😧 , setup thin for 15gb,  disk manager reports free space of 16.99gb on a 19.99gb disk(here is another discrepancy between vCenter configured size of 15gb and what the size disk manager reports, which is 19.99gb size)

question: why is the vmdk listed in the datastore at 18,191,360 when only 16.5gb is in actual use? Should not the vmdk size be 16.5gb?

question: why is the vmdk listed in the datastore at 15,414,270 when only 3gb is in actual use? Should not the vmdk size be 3gb?

I have looked for hours on the net for an answer and found nothing.  The only thing that makes sense to me is that with the vms that this scenario has occurred were once thick disks and I vmotioned them and made them thin disks.  Can anyone explain what has happened here and how it might be corrected?  Anyone else seeing this behavior on their vms?

0 Kudos
0 Replies