VMware Cloud Community
pg13
Contributor
Contributor

Deploying VMs from an eagerzeroedthick disk

Hi,

I need to provision several VMs as EagerZeroedThick. I created a Template with an Eagerzeroedthick but when I deploy a VM from that template, the VM just gets an ordinary thick disk, not eager. Here is what I did in detail:

1. I created a VM, chosing Support clustering features such as Fault Tolerance, which created a Eagerzeroedthick disk .
  2. I confirmed that the disk had been eagerly zeroed by running the command vim-cmd /vmsvc/device.getdevices , which gave me the line eagerlyScrub = true.
  3. I then converted this VM to a template.

However, when I deploy a VM from this template and choose as a disk format Same format as source, the resulting disk is not eagerzeroedthick. It is thick, but not eagerzeroed. Smiley Sad

Am I doing something wrong , or is it impossible to achieve that, or is it a bug?

Thank you.

Patrick

0 Kudos
2 Replies
gravesg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bump.

Cant find definitive information on how to deploy eagerzerothick from a template either.

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

Was there not on 3.x a problem with that all "deploy-from-template" VMDK:s became eagerzeroedthickdisk? And that was changed in 4.0, but perhaps VMware took the fix a bit too far, so no template deployed disk could become eager-zeroed.

A work around could be to right click the disk and select "inflate" after it has been provisioned, but it does involve some extra step that you might want to avoid.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos