VMware Cloud Community
pigbloke
Contributor
Contributor

Dell MD3200i subnet configuration

Hi

We have just purchased a Dell MD3200i storage array with dual controllers for use in a small vSphere Essentials Plus deployment and I have run into some confusion as to how the iSCSI network should be configured. I was planning on just implementing a single subnet for the iSCSI network, but the Dell documentation suggests that different subnets should be used for each port on the array controllers (four subnets in total, one port from each controller in each subnet). I have scoured the web for best practices and there really does seem to be some confusion as to how this should be setup. I have seen people advocating the use of the Dell recommended setup outlined above, other people advocating the use of a seperate subnet per controller and yet others saying everything should be ok using just a single subnet for the iSCSI network.

Could anybody point out the pros and cons of any of the above subnet configuration options?

The rest of the iSCSI network I am setting up consists of 2 dedicated switches connected by a 2Gbit LAG and 2 iSCSI dedicated NICs in each host.

Many Thanks

Nick

0 Kudos
0 Replies