VMware Cloud Community
VMUser72
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Deleted Partition Table

Hello, I have done multiple searches and have not come across the situation I have put myself in, so I will ask.
I have esxi 6.5 connected to a NAS unit with a iSCSI connector.
While re-configuring my hosts local storage I accidentally hit delete on the wrong storage device, deleting the NAS LUN partition table.6.5

This was done from the GUI in 6.5.

Storage - Devices - right click on the device - Clear partition table

I know. Click happy. Shouldn't have happened.

Looking at my nas it say im still using 2TB of space in the LUN and my total consumption hasnt changed.
This suggests the data is still there (I mean, I deleted the partition table)

Is my recovery possible and if so, what is my best option?

I thank you in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

please run the "offset= ....; done" command from Step 1 in https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2046610​ to see whether the output contains information about the missing datastore. If it does, run the "partedUtil getUsableSectors ..." for the device on which this datastore has been found. Then post the two commands' text output in your next reply.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Moved to vSphere Storage

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

please run the "offset= ....; done" command from Step 1 in https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2046610​ to see whether the output contains information about the missing datastore. If it does, run the "partedUtil getUsableSectors ..." for the device on which this datastore has been found. Then post the two commands' text output in your next reply.

André

0 Kudos
VMUser72
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the response and direction.
I originally posted what you requested but finished reading the link you have sent.
I was able to restore the partition using supplied info.

Thank you so much

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback.

André

0 Kudos