VMware Cloud Community
sogescojg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Datatore access between host

I'm in the process of upgrading servers running on 5.5 to 7.0

So far.. I have 2 host running on 5.5 connected to volumes on a DELL Compellent SAN, they are connected to 5 datastores.

I have a new host running on 7.0, Is there a problem to connect the host running on 7.0 on the same datastores that the 5.5 hosts?

I just want to make sure it won't corrupt the datastores, because of a host to the latest version of vsphere.

Thank you
Jean Gaudreau

Labels (1)
  • i

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

A ESXi 7.x also supports older VMFS version so this isnt a problem.  There is no vCenter version which supports both ESX 5.5 and 7.0 Hosts so you have only single Hosts around or a least the 7.0 is not managed by a vCenter yet?

Is this  a Compellent with SAS Frontends?

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

7 Replies
jondercik2020
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There shouldnt be a problem.  I have done this recently.

IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

A ESXi 7.x also supports older VMFS version so this isnt a problem.  There is no vCenter version which supports both ESX 5.5 and 7.0 Hosts so you have only single Hosts around or a least the 7.0 is not managed by a vCenter yet?

Is this  a Compellent with SAS Frontends?

Regards,
Joerg

AZ87
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You migrated vm between hosts ? 

0 Kudos
sogescojg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

see other reply

0 Kudos
sogescojg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's right.  I had to turn off the VMs, remove from inventory, then register in the new host running 7.0.

I will do a fresh install of vcenter 7 and add the new updated host in it.

So far so good.

0 Kudos
AZ87
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

and both write to that same LUN ? 5.5 and 7.0  ?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Thats not a problem because ESXi 7 also support older VMFS version.  As long as you dont have SIOC/sDRS active, which can be confused because of the "foreign" workload, this isnt a big problem.

For sure at the end of the day you would like to have a VMFS 6.x like Datastore which is only possible when creating a new one because you cant upgrade previous VMFS version like 5.54 to 6.x.

We often have this case when we migrate Customer to new HW and when no svMotion is licensed.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos