VMware Cloud Community
haaretz
Contributor
Contributor

Data recovery after format by ESXi

I've been using ESXi 4.1update1 with local storage provided by an Adaptec SAS Raid adapter. I wanted to try out device passthrough (not on Raid card but on network devices) so I enabled VT-d in BIOS. When ESXi came back up it said that it couldn't access my datastores. I rebooted and disabled VT-d and I could see my datastores again and everything worked as it should. I decided to try a fresh install of ESXi so I prepared a new USB drive from the ESXi 4.1update1 CD. This time with VT-d enabled I saw my arrays but the datastores were empty. I switched back to my original USB drive and they were still empty.

It looks like ESXi formatted the datastores when I booted with the new USB drive. The block size is now 1MB when originally it was 8MB. I don't understand why it would do something so drastic as format the array. Is there any way to recover the data?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
binoche
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

what original data on local storage? is there any partition?

ESXi 1st bootup thought this local lun is blank and format it to vmfs

0 Kudos
haaretz
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using ESXi for consolidating several home servers. All my .vmx and .vmdk were on the partitions on the Raid.

The new partitions look the same as the old ones so I don't know if it repartitioned. The only thing I notice different besides all the data is gone is the new block size for the file system (1MB now vs the 8MB that it used to be).

0 Kudos
binoche
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

in my experience, if there was vmfs created on storage, ESXi initial bootup will not re-format it,

no idea what has happened,

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

ESXi should not reformat a partition that is already vmfs - even starnger, it should not change block size.

Also, ESXi only does formatting at install time.

Have a look at the the following post - it will show how to vire your partitions:

http://www.get-virtual.info/2011/02/09/adding-datastores-to-esxi-hosts-that-have-already-been-built/

Of course, do not issue any of the format type instructions - but try to track down whether you perhaps have 2 datastores presented and you are seeing a different one to before. (you don't want to get any further than the 'fdisk -l command'

What I am concerned about however is that you 'prepared a new USB drive from the ESXi 4.1update1 CD' - assume that this was done offline (ie attached to an external machine) - if you did this on the server - it is possible that you selectd the datastore, rather than the USB key when prompted? If so . . I am afraid recovery will have to be expensive 3rd party job . .

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos