VMware Cloud Community
timsteinhoff
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting Dell M610 to Equallogic SAN through hardware iSCSI

We just purchased two new Dell M610 blade servers and installed them into our M1000E enclosure. We have a Dell 5000E that we have provisioned with three new LUNs at 2TB each. We also have another M610 in the enclosure that was there previously.

With the new blades we have purchased and installed the B mezzanine card. We want to use this to connect to the SAN. I read in the document found here http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_iscsi_san_cfg.pdf that we need to setup VMkernel Ports and connect them to the hardware iSCSI initiators. I've attached a screenshot to show how I've configured that.

I used the following command to connect;

esxcli swiscsi nic add -n vmk3 -d vmhba33
This seemed to work and I did the same for vmhba32. I confirmed the information with the following.
~ # esxcli swiscsi nic list -d vmhba33
vmk3
    pNic name: vmnic3
    ipv4 address: 172.16.228.170
    ipv4 net mask: 255.255.255.0
    ipv6 addresses:
    mac address: 00:10:18:90:6c:1e
    mtu: 1500
    toe: false
    tso: true
    tcp checksum: false
    vlan: true
    vlanId: 0
    ports reserved: 63488~65536
    link connected: true
    ethernet speed: 1000
    packets received: 831985
    packets sent: 396
    NIC driver: bnx2
    driver version: 2.0.7d-3vmw
    firmware version: 5.0.6
However, after performing all of this, I still can not connect to the storage. I setup the software iSCSO initiator and was able to connect with that. What am I missing to make the hardware work?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
timsteinhoff
Contributor
Contributor

Found the error. After completing the configuration properly I had a couple of typos in the IP address for the default gateway and the dynamic discovery address.

After finding that I could see one of the LUNs that had been configured.

I then found that we needed to check the box on the SAN for Enable shared access to the iSCSI target from multiple initiators on the SAN. Once that we done we were in business.

0 Kudos