VMware Cloud Community
edwinlcf
Contributor
Contributor

Cisco UCS Server RAID Cache

Hi,

I'm looking for a supported RAID controller on UCS server that can do caching to SSD for ESXi 5.5 / 6 / 6.5.

May I know the Cisco UCS Blade Server / Cisco UCS C Server support the SSD caching on RAID controller?

After this setup, it can make the hot data access on SSD? How many size need prepare on the SSD? Need reconfigure the RAID, so Need clear install ESXi?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
hypervisorboy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Cisco UCS C Server doesn't support the SSD caching on RAID controller. if it does SSD caching on the raid controller.

if it does SSD caching on the raid controller, then it can access the hot data from SSD.I think this is the big improvement which Cisco may go through in future for improving the performance.

You can check Nutanix which runs on UCS  B server and have SSD caching on RAID controller.

Thank you Karanveer [VCP6,CCNA,NPP,NSS} if you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
edwinlcf
Contributor
Contributor

My UCS server is using the MegaRAID 92XX and 12Gb Cisco Raid controllers.

I checked the MegaRAID® SAS 9271-8i support the

Optional SSD Optimization • MegaRAID CacheCade Pro 2.0 Software leverages SSDs in front of HDD volumes to create high-capacity, high-performance controller cache pools • MegaRAID Fast Path Software provides high-performance I/O acceleration for SSD arrays connected to 6Gb/s MegaRAID SATA+SAS controllers

http://downloadt.advantech.com/ProductFile/PIS/96RC-SAS-8P-PE-LS3/Product%20-%20Datasheet/96RC-SAS-8...

Is it hardware component installed to support the SSD Caching? For Hot Data?

The Nutanix is software SSD Caching?

0 Kudos
hypervisorboy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi edwinlcf,

Yes, Nutanix does Software level SSD caching.

Thank you

Thank you Karanveer [VCP6,CCNA,NPP,NSS} if you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
edwinlcf
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks~ Karanveer,

What do you think if I purchase the hardware option to make the RAID SSD caching on UCS server?

0 Kudos
edwinlcf
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks~ Karanveer,

What do you think if I purchase the hardware option to make the RAID SSD caching on UCS server?

0 Kudos
hypervisorboy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

edwinlcf

That's not a bad option. just make sure that it should satisfy your use case before buying.

Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos