VMware Cloud Community
blinko1
Contributor
Contributor

Choosing a SAN configuration

We are looking at a setup using two hosts and a single FC SAN.  We will have a copy of this SAN at another location attached to a single host.  The two sites will mirror using HP Storageworks.

We would like to ensure that we can still use vMotion with a SAN directly connected to the hosts without a SAN switch and whether a SAN switch is absolutely necessary from a performance standpoint.  We will be mirroring the two SANs using iSCSI over our WAN.

In a setup like the one described would we still be able to use vMotion between the two hosts at our main site?  Would a setup like this allow HA between the two hosts on our main site?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I am not sure I get your question. You are doing FC to the hosts and then iSCSI between the arrays for replication? That doesn't make any sense to me to be honest.

Anyway, you can work without SAN switches, but in order for most SMB FC Arrays to work in a decent way the hosts will need to have access to the same storage processor as more than likely it is an active/passive Array where 1 storage processor has ownership over the LUN. When both hosts are not connectec to the same storage processor the array will swap ownership which can cause severe performance issues. So in other words, I would recommend an SAN switch.

Would be good though if you could tell us the type of Array you are buying so we have a little more details to give you feedback with.

Duncan (VCDX)

Available now on Amazon: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical deepdive

0 Kudos
blinko1
Contributor
Contributor

We are buying a pair of HP P2000.  We got the impression from their datasheets that the remote snap software for asynchronous replication needs a combo FC/iSCSI card.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I would definitely recommend talking to an HP representative and let them explain the benefits of a solution like this including the technical details.

Duncan (VCDX)

Available now on Amazon: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical deepdive

0 Kudos
randystanley
Contributor
Contributor

The HP P2000 array can be configured as the shared storage for a two (2) node vSphere cluster utilizing the 3 Gb SAS interfaces and would support vMotion betwen the hosts attacted.  As a result, this should support HA without issue.

I don't believe the FC ports are necessary for the async mirroring between sites, this really only requires iSCSI.  Keep in mind that this is an entry-level storage array and you are leveraging SAS uplinks with limited scalability.  In other words, be careful to not over provision the environment or expect more out of it than it is able to deliver.

Randy Stanley | vExpert 2012 | VCDX #94 | @randystanley
0 Kudos