VMware Cloud Community
Netplus
Contributor
Contributor

Change "host" in NFS configuration

Hello,

We are renumbring our network. Our three node ESX cluster and the NFS server are moving from a subnet to another.

NFS datastores are mounted using the "old" NFS server IP address and there is no way to change the host field using esxcfg-nas (same limitation using the the VI client & vCenter)

I found that this field is defined in the /etc/vmware/esx.cfg file. Do you think that changing the values in this file (and rebooting the host) will make ESX use the new addresses.

Best Regards,

Youssef Ghorbal

PS : ESX servers has already a vmkernel interface in the new subnet.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Igor_The_Great
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Updating that file is NOT a recommended way to go.

Have you tried rebooting the host after the modifications for the change to take effect?

Another possible solution would be removing the mount points from esx hosts and adding them back in with the new IP configuration...

-Igor

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.

-Igor If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
dilidolo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm moving one of our bladecenter to another datacenter with new storage so I'm on the same boat as you.

I can use esxcfg-nas to drop the NFS datastores but when I add new datastores with same name, ESX still thinks old datastore name is present. What I have to do is to unregister all VMs and datastores, then write a script to add new datastores and register all the VMs again.

0 Kudos
Netplus
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

We thought about such a script, but our VMs have different VMDKs spawn across diffrent Datastores... References to those VMDKs are in .vmx files. The script must adapt those references too. It's a lot of work !

I have an open case about this issue, I'll let you know the support answer.

Regards,

Youssef Ghorbal

0 Kudos
Igor_The_Great
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Smiley Happy no one mentioned having vm's registered before...

.vmx file has a hardcoded path in the file that will need to be changed as well - otherwise it would try and point to the old location.

-Igor

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.

-Igor If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
Igor_The_Great
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry, for repeating your answer didn't see your post until after commiting the answer. Smiley Sad

-Igor

0 Kudos