VMware Cloud Community
lvhoyer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cant remove orphaned Hard disk

Hi

I have reformatted an ISCSI nas box but forgot it was connected to one of my Vspheres servers with a HD connected to a virtual 2003 server.

The 2003 won't start because of missing disk, and I can't remove the disk getting error " Invalid configuration for device "0". "

The Datastore is greyed out in Summary page

So what to do - there's no way I can get the disk back.

Thanks in advance

Lars H

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If the C: drive vmdk still exists, create a new VM and attach that vmdk instead of creating a new virtual hard disk.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

device "0" normally the disk where we installed the OS. Regardless whether you able to remove it from your VM, the chances is slim for you to to start the VM again. No Full Image backup for the VM? Call VMware Tech Support for advice?

vcbMC-1.0.6 Beta

vcbMC-1.0.7 Lite

http://www.no-x.org
lvhoyer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Athlon

The missing disk is (was) a subdirectory on the C drive- not the c drive itself.

But I guess that means that the drive is not complete and therefore invalid....

Lars V

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If the C: drive vmdk still exists, create a new VM and attach that vmdk instead of creating a new virtual hard disk.

André

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Lars,

You can try to manually edit the vmx file and remove any reference to the deleted disk. Maybe you'll have first to remove the VM from the inventory if you use vCenter.

Once it is done, either you can restart the VM and clean it from inside Windows or, as André wrote, attach the disk to another VM and clean it from there.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Franck

lvhoyer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for helping out -

Managed to make a new virtual with the old disk.

Now I only have to remember the password Smiley Happy

Lars V

0 Kudos