VMware Cloud Community
LPGgermany
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cant increase Datastore

Hello!

I increased the Space for the vsphere, but i cant increase the Datastore with the GUI.

Here the Pictures (Onedrive).

The tooltip always tells the space must be hingher as the selected size,

but if i move the slider higher the recommendet size increases too.

I used a diffrent browser and could change the size correct but there came a error Message:

Fehler beim Erweitern des VMFS-Datenspeichers datastore1 - Die Hostkonfiguration kann nicht geändert werden

The version is 7.0.0 (Build 16324942) - Dell version.

The Virtual Drive is a Raid 5, 21458.25 GB, 6*3576.38 GB

The controller is PERC H730P Mini

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The VMFS partition on the installation drive cannot be modified from the GUI, but only from the command line.
The required steps are explained in https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2002461

If you are unfamiliar with this, or unsure please ask back before you do anything!!!

In case you want/need help, please provide the complete output (pasted as text output, not as a screenshot please) of the following two commands:
partedUtil getptbl "/vmfs/devices/disks/<device-id>"
partedUtil getUsableSectors "/vmfs/devices/disks/<device-id>"

André

View solution in original post

3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The VMFS partition on the installation drive cannot be modified from the GUI, but only from the command line.
The required steps are explained in https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2002461

If you are unfamiliar with this, or unsure please ask back before you do anything!!!

In case you want/need help, please provide the complete output (pasted as text output, not as a screenshot please) of the following two commands:
partedUtil getptbl "/vmfs/devices/disks/<device-id>"
partedUtil getUsableSectors "/vmfs/devices/disks/<device-id>"

André

LPGgermany
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you!

So then it would be easier for the future if i would create a second datastore as new main store and move the vms.

So i can use the GUI to increase the Size if the Virtual Drive gets increaded again.

But it seems too late for this solution - decreasing the Datastore seems to be way more time consumning

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

For the existing host, I'd likly keep it as is, assuming that you do not increase the datastore regularly.

For new installations, you might consider to create multiple VDs (logical volumes) on the RAID set, with the first one (~200GB) for ESXi and a small datastore for e.g. ISO images etc., and the second one for use as a VMFS datsatore.

André

0 Kudos