VMware Cloud Community
JosephConlin
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot delete file on iSCSI lun

I am trying to delete a file on an iSCSI LUN and it keeps failing. When I try to delete it from the command line on one of the hosts I receive the error "

No such file or directory" Has anyone come across this problem before?
Here is the error from vCenter:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at VpxClientCommon.DatastoreBrowserClient.DatastoreExplorerControl.DeleteSelectedItems()
0 Kudos
4 Replies
nava_thulasi39

Hi,

Please give what command you use to delete the file?

What file are you trying to delete (vmdk, flat-vmdk,vswp)?

And what's the error in the ESX(i)Server?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
JosephConlin
Contributor
Contributor

I first tried deleting the file by browsing the datastore through vCenter. When that failed I logged into a host's CLI and just tried to remove it with the rm command. There are a few files that this is happening to on multiple datastores, all of different types. It appears to have been an error with a storage vMotion that caused it. In vCenter it simply states "Cannot delete file" and on the command line it tells me "File does not exist"

0 Kudos
nava_thulasi39

Hi,

Without looking the log files or screen shot, difficult to assume it.

When doing the activities, just take the screen shot as well as log from vmkernel.

If the error is resource busy - the file got locked. As you say, The error is file doesn't exist - Need to look why the message is file doesn't exist.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
BharatR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi.

Have u check with Rescan Disk for the Datastore

or Once reboot the Host and rescan the Datastore  after try to delete the same

Make sure before rebooting the host enable it in Maintenance Mode.

Best regards, BharatR--VCP4-Certification #: 79230, If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos