VMware Cloud Community
sigveo
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot connect to iSCSI

I have two ESXi host (4.1). Both running on HP DL380G7. One of them connects fine to the iSCSI targets on my Thecus N8800PRO NAS, but the other one does not connect to it. I am using iSCSI software adapter.

In an early testing phase, I enabeled the software initiator and configured networking for iSCSI traffic through vSwitch2. I did not connect to any target on the NAS, so i don't know if it was working at this time. Later, I disabled the software initiator and removed vSwitch2. i also rebooted the host when prompted to do so. Now I have re-enabled the initiator and set up vSwitch2 for iSCSI taffic again, but I just cannot connect to the targets. i am using a single NIC to connect to the iSCSI storage

Does this have anything to do with me disabling and re-enabling the Initiator? Do I have to do some sort of port-binding to get this working?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Note: This discussion was moved from the VI: VMware ESXi 3.5 community to the VMware vSphere Storage community.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

I suggest to reboot the host if you enable/disable the iSCSI adapter.

After it check if you can vmkping the iSCSI target.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
sigveo
Contributor
Contributor

I have rebooted the host, but i still can not connect to the target.

Have tried to vmkping the target, no response.

Vmkping the other host, this works. The hosts and the target are on the same LAN. I would like to try to vmkping the target from the other host, but I haven't enabled ssh on it, and I don't have access to the console right now. But the other host connects to the target fine, so I think it is an issue with the host that wont connect to the target.

0 Kudos
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you enabled Jumbo Frame?  If you did it, remember you have to enabled end-to-end.
Anyway, if you don't get response when you use vmkping, you have to check out all the network settings.
Best Regards
Patricio Cerda
Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos
sigveo
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply.

Jumbo frames are not enabled.

I have checked the network config, and it seems to be exactly the same config as on the host that is working. I can ping the "iSCSI-address" from my PC on both hosts, and I can also ping the iSCSI target. I kan vmkping the target from the host that is OK, but not from the other host.

The only difference I see in config is under "storage adapters:

Screenshot from host that is working:

storadaptesxi01.JPG

Screenshot from the host that cannot connect to target:

storadaptesxi02.jpg

0 Kudos
sigveo
Contributor
Contributor

Here is an update:

I've tried to switch networking cables between the host that is working to the one that is not, to eliminate any infrastructure issues. Still the same status. No vmkping response, no contact with target. The other host works fine with the other networking cable.

Tried to remove the target from the dynamic discovery, disabled software iSCSI, deleted vSwitch, rebooted host. Set up vSwitch, enable initiator, reboot host, set up dynamic discovery, rescan HBA. Did not help. No response on vmkping target.

List NICs assosiated with vmhba37, no adapters assosiated. Tried to manually bind NIC to vmhba37. List assosiated NICS: Correct NIC is assosiated with vmhba37. But no response on vmkping.

So that's it. I can't seem to work this one out. Next step is to reset all config on the host, and set it up again from scratch. Or maybe install latest ESXi build from HP.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I have found in the past that once it goes bad it can stay bad. I would reset the ESXi host machine from DCUI interface. "Reset System Configuration" You might also consider taking the oportunity to install the HP version rather than adding the HP offline bundle to the generic install. Which ever way you choose you will need the HP components to fully support hardware feedback in vCenter.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

have you tried to use another vmnic to iSCSI communitation?

Maybe there is an issue whit the vmnic...

You also can test the ESXi build from HP.

Best Regards

Patricio Cerda

Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos
sigveo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello again

I have now updated firmware on the host, and reinstalled ESXi 4.1 with latest build from HP.

I then set up networking for iSCSI and enabled the initiator. It did not connect to any targets, and I could not vmkping the target.

I then list assosiated NICs with the software initiator (esxcli swiscsi nic list -d vmhba37). It shows no NICs assosiated.

I then manually bind vmk1 to the initiator (esxcli swiscsi nic add -n vmk1 -d vmhba37) and do a rescan of HBAs. It now connects to the target, but I can still not vmkping the target.

I am pretty happy that I finally could connect to the iSCSI targets, but I am still a bit worried. If I've got this right, you should not have to manually bind the vmk to the initiator when you are only using one NIC for iSCSI traffic. I am also worried about not being able to vmkping the target. I can vmkping the target fine from the other host. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

can you post output of:

esxcfg-vmknics -l

esxcfg-vswitch -l

?

and

list the targets and their ip portals?

The fact that binding vmk1 works for you, but not w/o it indicates:

1) vmk1 can connect to target;

2) default route iface, likely vmk0, can't connect to target;

3) likely you are having some invalid network setup, e.g. vmk0 and vmk1 in subnet but on different vswitch.

Thanks!

- Kun

0 Kudos
sigveo
Contributor
Contributor

This is from the host that is OK:

working.jpg

w.JPG

This is from the host that cannot vmkping the target, where i had to bind the port:

not_working.jpg

not_w.JPG

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Though the two hosts have similar setup, same subnet for vmk0 and vmk1 residing in different vswitch is not valid network config.

I believe this result in undetermined network traffic routing, which in host 1 it works, but host2 might route your iscsi traffic to vmk0.

Please config. both vmk0 ad bmk1 to same vswitch.

Let us know if that fixes your problem.

regards,

- Kun

0 Kudos