VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Can't See New Datastore

I have created a New LUN on my NetApp storage system.   In VMware, the iSCSI software initiator in "Static Discovery" shows that the targets have been discovered.  On the NetApp system, an ">iscsi show initiator" shows that the iSCSI HBA has successfully logged in to the storage system.  However, when I rescan for datastores in vSphere client, the new LUN never shows up so I can format it with VMFS.  Anyone know what the issue could be?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you present the LUN to the host/initiator group?

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you present the LUN to the host/initiator group?

André

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I attempted to - I assumed that the mapping of the LUN to the initiator group/host was successful based on the fact that I saw the target logged in.  Is that not a safe assumption?  How can I doublecheck this and know for sure it is correct?

0 Kudos
w45g7w45724
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is a really big problem with ESXi 5.  Enable SSH and post the output of "cat /var/log/vmkernel.log".  It is likely that there will be a lot of "No FS driver claimed device".

I had to go back to ESXi 4.1 to get past this.  I'll never use the .0 releases ever again.  Test dummies.

w45g7w45724
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'm interested in the output of fdisk -l on an affected server.

0 Kudos
w45g7w45724
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/345165

I solved my issue.  You might want to look at this if your LUN is greater than 2TB.

TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Actually I found the problem.  I had not correctly mapped the iqn of the iSCSI software initiator within Data OnTap.  I reran >lun setup and chose the correct iqn of the initiator and added it to the intiator group.   After that I was able to see the LUN from within vSphere client and then create a datastore on it.

Thanks all for your input.

0 Kudos