VMware Cloud Community
rterlouw
Contributor
Contributor

Best practice Raid1 settings for VMWare ESXi 6.7

Hi,

I am just added 2x 16TB SATA (512e) HDD into our server. They are connected to PERC H730P raid controller.

I like to create a Raid 1 virtual disk for a local vmware vsphere esxi 6.7 datastore. Now i am looking for the preferred settings at the raid controller.

1. Strip Size: 1MB ? I read VMFS uses 1MB too.

2. Write Cache: ?, I am not sure performance vs. security ?

3. Read Cache: No Read Ahead ? I read for the big files like VMDK on a vmware datastore, there is no use for read ahead.

4. Disk Cache: default ? (enabled vs. disabled)

Is there anything else I should take care of?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

>>> 1. Strip Size: 1MB ? I read VMFS uses 1MB too.
You are most likely mixing up stripe size, and block size. I'd suggest you use the controller's default settings.

>>> 2. Write Cache: ?, I am not sure performance vs. security ?
Definitely enable battery backed write-back cache, i.e. select the option (should be the default) to enable write-back caching only if the battery is present ,and functional! Write-back vs. write-through cache makes a huge performance difference.

>>> 3. Read Cache: No Read Ahead ? I read for the big files like VMDK on a vmware datastore, there is no use for read ahead.
Personally I've rarely modified a RAID controller's default cache settings.

>>> 4. Disk Cache: default ? (enabled vs. disabled)
Disabled!!!! Definitely disable disk cache if it has been enabled!

>>> Is there anything else I should take care of?
Well, with the mentioned two HDDs - which I assume are SATA disks for a 24/7 usage - remember that they have a much smaller queue depth than e.g. NL-SAS disks, so don't expect high performance for random workloads. Such a HDD configuration may be sufficient for mainly "cold" data, like a file/archive server, but not for heavy workloads.
Also remember that a HDD/RAID restore (after replacing a failed disk) may take many hours, with the disks running with high utilization. Make sure that you have a good backup in place!

André

0 Kudos
CurtisGrice
Contributor
Contributor

1. Strip Size: 1MB ? I read VMFS uses 1MB too.

VMFS allocates space in 1MB chunks but the VMs still read and write in whatever size they normally do. Most SAN documentation recommends 64K as its a good average and generally performs well. If you have workloads that do large sequential reads/writes then go bigger. I would recommend trying at least two sizes and running real world benchmarks, not just synthetic "What's the max best case scenario" ones.

2. Write Cache: ?, I am not sure performance vs. security ?

This is the RAM on the RAID card. If for any reason your server/RAID card lose power or hard lock, any data in that RAM is gone (depending on battery backup on the card). This means the VMFS could become corrupted and you could potentially lose all data on the filesystem. Many decent RAID cards have a built in battery that will preserve the data in RAM if there is a short power failure but this should not be considered adequate for production datastores. Performance uses this RAM, security does not.

Note, Large SANs typically use NV memory for cache. I.e. flash memory.

3. Read Cache: No Read Ahead ? I read for the big files like VMDK on a VMware datastore, there is no use for read ahead.

Read Cache is great if you have a small amount of data that is read frequently. If you have more than one VM reading data, the read patterns become vary chaotic and random so the cache becomes less useful.

Read Ahead, see above. Things are to random for it to help in most cases.

Also keep in mind that the VMs are the ones making the read and write requests form their virtual disks. VMware (unless you configure host read cache) does NOTHING to cache reads, writes, or anything else. This is because if a VM writes to disk and the VM gets an "OK, that's on disk" when its not, corruption happens just like the cache on the raid card.

4. Disk Cache: default ? (enabled vs. disabled)

Same as all the other caching, just on the hard drives. This should ALWAYS be disabled unless you have PLP SSDs.

This all equates to anything under the the VM (ESXi, RAID card, and Disks) would function as synchronous writes. This means if a VM says "write this to disk" it gets to the physical platters before we tell the VM that were done with that write. This is a slow process because we have to wait for the mechanical disk to spin to the right spot, the head to swing into place and write the data for each and every write. This is safe, just slow. Now if you don't care about your data or some risk is acceptable, you can enable write cache on the RAID card. Just know that if the power goes out on the server, if the battery on the raid card(if it has one) fails or just doesn't last long enough, bad things happen.

0 Kudos
rterlouw
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answers!

Indeed i was not clear about the difference of "stripe size" and "block size".

The raid controller uses a BBU and the whole system is just a standby failover and backup is in place.

I decided now to go with the folowing settings:

1. 64K stripe size , as this seems to be the recommended (and default) one.

2. Write Back enabled (with BBU) with automatic write-trough fallback in case BBU fails.

3. No read ahead, seems to be recommendation for VMFS

4. Disk cache disabled.

Regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos