VMware Cloud Community
dlchapman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Best Practices for Moving Guests from Local Storage to SAN

Our company has finally implemented a storage area network to take advantage of vMotion and HA. Does anyone have suggestions on how to move 15 guest VMs with a total of 4TB over to the SAN with minimal effort and downtime? From how I see it I have the following three options but would definitely like some input:

1) Power off each guest, manually move their .vmdk files to the new datastore; update settings (not really a viable option)

2) Use the vCenter Converter to move them to a new datastore

3) Use the vCenter Migrate option to move each to a new datastore. I'm not sure I can use this option since vMotion is not yet on.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes - if you can wait for SVMotion, then that would be the ideal solution. No downtime required!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Our company has finally implemented a storage area network to take advantage of vMotion and HA. Does anyone have suggestions on how to move 15 guest VMs with a total of 4TB over to the SAN with minimal effort and downtime? From how I see it I have the following three options but would definitely like some input:

1) Power off each guest, manually move their .vmdk files to the new datastore; update settings (not really a viable option)

no, not really a good option

2) Use the vCenter Converter to move them to a new datastore

a safe and effective way to do this, plus very reliable

3) Use the vCenter Migrate option to move each to a new datastore. I'm not sure I can use this option since vMotion is not yet on.

If you don't have vmotion, then you can shutdown the VM and do a cold migration off local disk to SAN disk.

Option 2 or 3 would be my choice. And if you afford the downtime, go with option 3

vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

Without SVMotion, option 3 looks the best/safest. You can migrate powered off VMs with no problems.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
dlchapman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm sorry, I should have clarified...

I do have storage vMotion licensed but it's not enabled at the moment. With svMotion, will I be able to use the migrate option without incurring any downtime?

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes - if you can wait for SVMotion, then that would be the ideal solution. No downtime required!

0 Kudos
JroscoPHD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm assuming this is vSphere and not ESX3.

Is the SAN attached? What type of SAN? Fiber Channel or ISCSI/NFS?

If FC - you have to add shut down the host and add FC cards and Zone on to the fabric Then you can Storage Motion.

If ISCSI/NFS you should be able to add the new shared VMFS volumes and migrate.

Rosco

www.PHDVirtual.com makers of esXpress

www.phdvirtual.com, makers of PHD Virtual Backup for VMware, formerly esXpress
0 Kudos
JroscoPHD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If still ESX3 you can try this tool as sVmotion was not added to the UI.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vip-svmotion/

Rosco

www.PHDVirtual.com makers of esXpress

www.phdvirtual.com, makers of PHD Virtual Backup for VMware, formerly esXpress
0 Kudos
dlchapman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

iSCSI. Yes, I've been migrating the guests to their new datastores already. I only have 5 left to do. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
gyanguru
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi There,

I am in the same boat as you were and would appreciate if you advice which method you finally used to migrate your VM's to SAN.

Thanks much!

0 Kudos