VMware Cloud Community
jittu2022
Contributor
Contributor

Best Policies for datastores.

I need some of your recommendations for new environment.
1) ADvantages and disadvatanges of putting simillar OS's in their respective datastores.For eg: all linux in one datastore and windows in different datastore.We are concrened about data depulication will take advantage ,if will put simillar OS in one datastores.
2) Is it recommended to put all C drives in one datastores and and data drives in another datastores.
3) Which is best place to put swap files.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

best places to place swap files is usually with their vms unless you ahve SRM where swap files are recommneded  to NOT be stored with their vms.

usually all the data for the vm in one place is ideal..

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
kooltechies
Expert
Expert

For your point 1 , I am not sure putting similar OS in a datastore results in any benefit due to de duplication. As far as I know same OS can only benefit from the memory page sharing for similar memory pages not in the case of storage.

Point 2 : It's upto you general recomendation is to keep OS drive and Data drives in different datastores.

Point 3: Keep with the virtual machine files , this is easy for management. As said earlier if you have SRM then you can separate.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos
vGuy
Expert
Expert

I think for point 1, he is referring to dedupe at the storage..in that case, I will suggest to check with your storage vendor for their best practices.

for point 2, I personally don't see any issues by putting both OS and data disks on same datastore unless you have a tierrred storage...look for simplicity during operations and management.

...hth!

0 Kudos
TheEsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi jittu2022

What type of array do you have ?

If you are using pool technology in the array I would try and maximize the pools by your vendors and your companies best pratice.

Try to not to micro manage the vm's down to this level as it will make life a lot easier for you as your enviroment continues to grow.

Cheers

David

0 Kudos