VMware Cloud Community
rurffy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

About Vmware Storage

Hi All,

I am a little confused about this SAN technology. I see NetApp , EMC and Brocade. But I don’t understand the role they play in Storage. Are they Hardware? Storage  devices? Or  software’s?

I have done some reading/Googling but I would need a real life lame man explanation if possible

Your inputs are much appreciated.

Thanks Guys..

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Moderation Note: Discussion successfully moved from VCP: VMware Certified Professional to VMware vSphere™ Storage

0 Kudos
titaniumlegs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The ones you listed have both HW and SW.  NetApp and EMC make storage devices (hardware) but most of the magic is in the software they run on the device and the management software.  Brocade (and Cisco and others) make switches that connect the servers to the storage devices.

Here's the NetApp guide on storage + vSphere:  NetApp Storage Best Practices for VMware vSphere

Share and enjoy! Peter If this helped you, please award points! Or beer. Or jump tickets.
0 Kudos
vipinvk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Brocade also produces HBA (Host Bus Adapters) cards which we install on servers to have connectivity option/ports.

Thus generally, EMC and NetApp (and IBM, Hitachi, HP etc...)produces storage devices where the actual data is getting saved.They also produces software to manage/monitor the hardware. Brocade (and Cisco, Qlogic, Emulex etc...) gives connectivity options (including SAN switches and HBA cards)

0 Kudos