VMware Cloud Community
Rob_Lisi
Contributor
Contributor

ARP Redirect for Lefthand

I'm setting up a Lefthand storage on Vsphere and I'm following the Vsphere Iscsi guide. The guide says to enable ARP Redirect for Lefthand but I can't find where to enable this setting. Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AmaroITSS
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Rob,

have you tried the vmkiscsi-tool?

# vmkiscsi-tool -h

look at the help "vmkiscsi-tool -h –help"

-c –ipconfig: enable/disable DHCP, ARP redirect

Or

There is some detial information at "http://www.vmwareadmins.com/index.php/component/content/frontpage/frontpage.html?start=15"

iSCSI HBA Configuration

Per Dell's handy-dandy EqualLogic Configuration Guide (TR1043-VMWareFAQ-1.30.pdf), there are a few things that you need to configure prior to hitting the ground running. Those are, in order:

Enable ARP redirect on the HBA using: esxcfg-hwiscsi -a allow vmhbaX

Enable support for jumo frames on the HBA using: esxcfg-hwiscsi -j enable vmhbaX

Verify these settings are correct by using the ISCLI utility availible from the QLogic website

To set them, run ‘iscli’ at the Service Console. To get to the settings:

1.Enter ‘4’ (Port Level Info & Operations)

2.Enter ‘3’ (Edit Configured Port Settings Menu),

3.Enter ‘3’ (Port Firmware Settings Menu),

4.Finally ‘7’ (Configure Advanced Settings)

5.Press ‘enter’ until you see “ExeThrottle.” The default is 64, maximum value is 256. Higher values increase performance. A setting of 128 is safe and a good starting point.

6.Continue to press ‘enter’ until you see ‘IP_ARP_Redirect’ and set that to ‘on’

7.Continue to press ‘enter’ until you see ‘KeepAliveTO’ and set that to ’60.’ Set to ‘120’ if you are booting the ESX server from the array.

8.Continue to press ‘enter’ until you return to the previous menu

9.If you have two ports, Select ‘11’ (Select HBA Port) and configure that port.

10.When finished, select ‘10’ (Save Changes and reset HBA).

I hope this helps

0 Kudos
Rob_Lisi
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks AmarolTSS. It seems there's a lot more information for the EqualLogic san than the Lefthand stuff.

When I run the vmkiscsi tools I have to specify which adaptername. Do I have to just choose the Iscsi hba (I already setup with multipathing) or do I have to do this command for every vnic I added to the multipathing? So for clarity I don't have any Hardware Iscsi HBA's it't just the built in ESX iscsi HBA on my hosts.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Andy_Banta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The vmkiscsi-tool command is for QLogic HBAs only. For the ESX software initiator, ARP-redirect should be configured by default.

If you look at the vSwitch and Port Group properties in the UI, you should see "MAC Address Changes: Accept"

If this is set to "Reject" for either the vSwitch or the Port Groups used for iSCSI, you'll have to change it to "Accept" to allow ARP Redirection.

Enjoy,

Andy

0 Kudos