VMware Cloud Community
MOttaway
Contributor
Contributor

2TB limit problems during upgrade to vSphere + Splitting LUNs

Hi,

I had planned to upgrade the first of our many clusters to vSphere this week but hit a problem with the first one!!!

Basically we have a cluster of 3 x ESX3.5 hosts in a vServer 2.5 environment. I upgraded the VCMS to version 4 no problem and then did a fresh install of ESX4.0 on the 1st host.

All was going great until it came to the strorage. The host can't see the luns which it could before. After logging a support call I was informed that the problem was we had created luns up to the 2TB limit. ESX 4.0 is more restrictive on this limit. I have found a previous post which say the limit is 2TB - 512.

The only way around this is to strorage motion the VM's to new storage and resize the luns. The problem I have is that as well as using the 2TB limit we have joint luns together to make our datastores.

I'm not hopeful................but is there anyway of spliting the datastores back out to separate luns?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Nope, not with out some space to move the VMs to.

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

There's just nothing quite like "nope" for a response. It says it all. Gives little hope. Smiley Wink

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
MOttaway
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Guys - It's what I thought but asked just incase.

0 Kudos