VMware {code} Community
piuhapofuhpaosf
Contributor
Contributor

"The operation is not allowed in the current state" error on VM creation

Getting a very odd error when attempting to create a VM via the Perl API. The error is certainly one I've seen before. It's "The operation is not allowed in the current state". However, I've never seen it on a VM create action. Also, this exact same code works perfectly well on all but one particular resource pool in our VC. The creation attempts are all done on DRS-enabled clusters, and all with Resource Pools specified, not specific hosts. So, like I said, in all other clusters/resource pools the create code works perfectly well, but for this one particular Resource Pool, the create action fails with that error. I'm able to create VMs in that Resource Pool using the VI Client, so the problem is entirely isolated to the API, apparently. Also, there are many VMs already running just fine in that Resource Pool, and I can see no obvious errors when looking at the Resource Pool itself in the VI Client.

Does anyone have any ideas what might cause this particular error to pop up when I try to create a VM in a Resource Pool? What "state" is it that would cause this problem on a VM create? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
0 Replies