VMware {code} Community
ddelazerda
Contributor
Contributor

getting "UncustomizableGuest" when trying to customize vm

Hi,

I'm wrtting a perl script to deploy VMs from a template and customize them but I'm getting this:

SOAP Fault:
-----------
Fault string: Customization of the guest operating system 'sles11_64Guest' is not supported in this configuration. Microsoft Vista (TM) and Linux guests with Logical Volume Manager are supported only for recent ESX host and VMware Tools versions. Refer to vCenter documentation for supported configurations.
Fault detail: UncustomizableGuest
End Disconnect

If I just clone the VM with method "CloneVM" and don't attempt to customize it with "CustomizeVM" method it works.

I made sure that VM Tools is installed properly.

My vCenter Server version is 4.0.0 Build 208111

Please let me know if you need more information in order to help me out.

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ddelaz
Contributor
Contributor

Can anybody please help out? I'd really appreciate it.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello,

I think the fault thrown should be pretty straight forward, it looks like SLES11 64bit does not support guest customization and this **maybe** supported on a newer version of ESX(i) and/or VMware Tools. I would recommend taking a look at the Guest Operating System Installation Guide for the build of your vSphere release, where that is vSphere 4.0, vSphere 4.0 Update 1 or vSphere 4.0 Update 2 and see if SLES 11 actually supports guest customization.

The other thing I would recommend to try is see if you can manually clone using vCenter and see if it allows you to customize the guest? My guess, is it will not since the fault you're seeing should also deny you from customizing the guestOS during a clone process in the vSphere Client.

0 Kudos
ddelaz
Contributor
Contributor

You were right. Looks like my vSphere server doesn't suppoert SLES 11 customization. I tried customizing a SLES 10 vm and it worked just fine. I guess I'll have to upgrade. Hopefully 4.1 supports it. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos