VMware {code} Community
xeno313
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perl SDK - get/set vSphere 5.1 tags?

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but I'm exhausted with searching.  5.1 introduces tags in favor of custom attributes, but I can't find a way to access the tags in the Perl SDK.  Am I missing something?  It's been extremely frustrating to have a touted new feature with great potential that is mostly wasted by appearing only in the web client.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

The new "Tagging" feature introduced in vSphere 5.1 is currently not available today in the vSphere API, you will need to use the new vSphere Web Client to operate on the tags.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

The new "Tagging" feature introduced in vSphere 5.1 is currently not available today in the vSphere API, you will need to use the new vSphere Web Client to operate on the tags.

0 Kudos
xeno313
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's what I was afraid of, but thanks for the response just the same.  The web client isn't an option for our needs - the tags would only be useful for us if they can be accessed via the API.  Hopefully this gets fixed rather quickly, it seems that this feature is only really useful in most applications when API access is available.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Apperciate the feedback and rest assure you are not the only one asking for this.

0 Kudos
sandrowabner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi William,

is there any plan/roadmap when the custom attributes will be manageable by the Perl SDK?

cheers

Sandro

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Not sure what you mean ... Custom Attributes (http://sourceforge.net/p/vghetto/code/243/tree/scripts/addVMCustomField.pl) has always been manageable via the vSphere SDK for Perl which is just exposed through the vSphere API.

0 Kudos
sandrowabner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi William,

thanks' for the reply.

I mean the vSphere 5.1 Tags, -> the topic of this thread Smiley Wink .

These tags have been called "custom attributes" from the guy that opend this discussion, and I expect that the "custom attributes", you see if you open the "edit annotations" window, are the "thing" we are talking about.

A customer wants to set his SLA's and other stuff at this place but I just found a PowerCLI-script that does it in the way we need it:

vSphere PowerCLI Reference - Set/Get-CustomAttribute

... but PowerShell is not what i need!!! Smiley Happy I need perl as xeno313, and I din't find anything like xeno313.

cheers

Sandro

0 Kudos
sandrowabner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry, I just found out that it's just a wording-problem!

What half of the tools/GUI's calls "custom attributes" is called "custom fields" in others,...

I asked my customer to set a sample with the PowerCLI-thingy and checked it in MOB.

MOB shows it as "customField" (?!?!?!) ...so I'm fine, I suppose

availableField

CustomFieldDef[]

...sorry to bother you with idiot-stuff like that! Smiley Happy

cheers

Sandro

0 Kudos