VMware Cloud Community
Hamid314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vsphere replication appliance and vsphere replication server

hi

i want to deploy vsphere replication appliance in my scenario but Because of large number of virtual machine i decide to use vsphere replication server too.

now my question ...

according to sensivity and importance of vsphere replication managment (configure and database ) which one is recommended :

1 - create one vsphere replication and additional vphere replication server that both of them replicate vm

2 - (my opinion) create vsphere replication managment but create 2 additional vsphere replication server to replicate vm and VRM managing replication

in vmware which one is recommended (if you have refrences pls ...)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

To begin with, only one VRM appliance can be registered with the vCenter server and rest can be add-on servers.

Operational Limits of vSphere Replication

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

The embedded VR appliance is capable of handling 200 VM replications. If you wish to manage the replications just through the add-on servers, you can do that as well.

If the environment is feasible to provide resources for multiple add-on servers, you can set that up.

Remember, when replicating VMs between 2 vCenter servers target VR server is used to manage these replications. If replications are just one way, you can deploy 2 add-on servers just at the target and if replication is bidirectional, then you can configure add-on servers at both sites.

If you are replicating VMs within the same vCenter, you can register add-on servers within the same vCenter.

I hope that helps.

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Is this an SRM question, a vSphere Replication question, or a bit of both?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Scott,

This one is related to vSphere replication.

0 Kudos
Hamid314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks for your answer

But is there any references to tell best practice for use of additional vsphere replication server ? I meant that best practice is we use multiple additional vsphere replication server with VRM to manage or one vsphere replication manager with vsphere replication server  to replicate ? please reffer to reference

thanks

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

To begin with, only one VRM appliance can be registered with the vCenter server and rest can be add-on servers.

Operational Limits of vSphere Replication

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Thread moved to the vSphere Replication area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos