VMware Cloud Community
13OR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vsphere replication 8.3

hello all.i am new with vmware i am working on a project and would like to ask for guidance:

i have purchase vphere essentials plus licenses and my architecture comprise of:
-Two Esxi 7.0 hosts within a datacenter and they all run under one vcenter 7.0 instance
-i have managed to deploy 3 VMs on one host successfully and they are working well

i want to realize a source and target replication between the two esxi hosts from a single vcenter using vsphere replication 8.3 which i have installed using OVF file on both esxi machine and registered to the vcenter. the set up had completed successfully which means i have two replication servers on my recovery site interface.when i try initiate replication between the two hosts,the VMs is only created on destination datastore i specified but it does appear on vm list on the second esxi host.
any one with work around on this in order to realise a complete replication?

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thank you for sharing the screenshot.

Based on the screenshot, I see the running VMs are listed under HQ -->esxiprod1 hosts

DR site does not have any other VMs except the add-on VR server

This is an expected behavior. VMs will be listed under DR host only when a recovery is performed. Until then, VM files will just remain offline in the datastore.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

Please correct me if I am wrong about the configuration:

1. Single vCenter with vSphere replication

2. Two ESXi hosts where one of them has the source running VM and 2nd host datastore is used as a target for replication. Assuming the target datastore is local to this host and not shared between these two hosts.

3. Two VR servers: One management appliance and the 2nd is a add-on server

Do you mean that this VM is listed under source ESXi host and target ESXi host ? Please share some screenshot for reference that shows the VM listed under both hosts

Ensure the source running VM does not have any ISOs,config files attached from the datastore of 2nd host

0 Kudos
13OR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi ashilkrishnan

you stated it well..i am running a single vcenter environment and the VMs seats on a none shared datastore.
as it is displayed on the below snapshot this is the scenario i have:
To be more precise, i have done replication from HQ datacenter(Source) to DR_Datacenter and the replication status show ok for all the VMs completed so far.
so i wonder if after the replication, those VMs (ACC.DC,WEB)should not appear on my DR_datacenter inventory but power off obviously.

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thank you for sharing the screenshot.

Based on the screenshot, I see the running VMs are listed under HQ -->esxiprod1 hosts

DR site does not have any other VMs except the add-on VR server

This is an expected behavior. VMs will be listed under DR host only when a recovery is performed. Until then, VM files will just remain offline in the datastore.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
13OR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you so much @ ashilkrishnan
your response if so clear and helpful

I appreciate
Tresor

0 Kudos