VMware Cloud Community
berndmaier
Contributor
Contributor

vmware replication 5.1.0.1 - couldn't see target datastores

Hi,

i have a setup with two vcenter sites and the new vmware replication appliance on every site.

i have connected the two sites with an vpn tunnel and both replication appliances are connected.

until this, everything works fine.

my problem is when i want to setup an replication job from a VM in SITE1, in the wizard i can't select the target-datastore on SITE2.

so i cant go to the next steps in the wizard and i cant finish the replication job.

when i do the same thing in the other direction (a VM from SITE2 to SITE1) i can select my 2 datastores in SITE1 and everything is working fine.

what could be the problem?

is there any limitation for the datastores?

i cound see noone of my datastores on SITE2, even not the local datastore disk.

i saw one point when i look at the datastores on both sites:

on site 2 (where i cant select the datastores) all datastores are marked as "hardwareaccelerator = true"

on site 1 (where i can select the datastores) my datastores are marked as "hardwareaccelerator = unknown"

cound that be the problem?

how can i turn off the hardware-accelerator for testing this?

thanks for every help!

best regards,

bernd

0 Kudos
7 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

How many host do you have on DR sites.

Do you see any errors.

can you restart management agent on all the host of DR sites.

Here is one point mention in release notes  https://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere5/doc/vsphere-replication-51-release-notes.html

vSphere Replication cannot access datastores through hosts with multiple management virtual NICs and postsDatastoreInaccessibleEvent in vCenter Server: vSphere Replication cannot access datastore.

If a host is configured with multiple virtual NICs and you select more than one NIC for management traffic, vSphere Replication registers only the first NIC and uses it to access target datastores. If the vSphere Replication server address is not on the first management network of the host, vSphere Replication does not communicate with the host.

Workaround: Use a host with a single virtual NIC selected for management traffic for datastores at the secondary site. You can also reconfigure the host networking so that the address of the first management virtual NIC is from a network that vSphere Replication can access.

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

one thing that could case this issue is if the sites are using dns and they are Ot resolvable each other. Another case is when you are trying to configure replication will less permissions. It is good to check if there are any issues logs in the Web Client, however.

on other hand, the issue described by Mohammed, I think is related with the configuration itself, e.g. After click finish, and not with datastore selection.

Martin Marinov VMware Software Engineer If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
berndmaier
Contributor
Contributor

hey,

i have checked everything but i couldnt find the issue...

i have attached 6 screenshots where you can see my configuration.

when i want to replicate an vm TO site 2, i could not see datastores, on the other direction i could see them!

0 Kudos
berndmaier
Contributor
Contributor

...last screenshot

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Can you make sure that user account that you are using for replication has administrator previleges on both the sites of vSphere Replication.

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.replication_admin.doc%2FGUID...

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
berndmaier
Contributor
Contributor

yes i am sure.

i use the domain-admin for all my tests 🙂

0 Kudos
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

HI again,

Is there any chance to view the vSphere Web Client logs if there is anything written there?

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.monitoring.doc%2FGUID-BA8750...

Martin Marinov VMware Software Engineer If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos