VMware Cloud Community
pwieczorek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vm replication

Hey Guys,

is there any option to keep few VMs in sync ( something like consistency group) using vmware replicator?

how to schedule PIT snapshot creation if possible? thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi there,

To my knowledge vSphere replication is only on a per-VM basis and there is no way to create a consistency group as such.

The closest reference I could seem to find was in the following post, though is a few years old (Couldn't find it in the updated Storagehub article) - vSphere Replication Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - The current version of this doc has moved to:...

Are consistency groups supported by vSphere Replication?

There is no way to ensure consistency across multiple VMs with vSphere Replication. Many applications are ok with inconsistent recovery – for example, if an application server is recovered to a point in time 30 minutes later than a database server it is dependent on. However, some applications do require consistency. For those applications, array replication is recommended.

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi there,

To my knowledge vSphere replication is only on a per-VM basis and there is no way to create a consistency group as such.

The closest reference I could seem to find was in the following post, though is a few years old (Couldn't find it in the updated Storagehub article) - vSphere Replication Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - The current version of this doc has moved to:...

Are consistency groups supported by vSphere Replication?

There is no way to ensure consistency across multiple VMs with vSphere Replication. Many applications are ok with inconsistent recovery – for example, if an application server is recovered to a point in time 30 minutes later than a database server it is dependent on. However, some applications do require consistency. For those applications, array replication is recommended.

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!
0 Kudos
KarimovWise
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Still, you can replicate as many VMs with one vSphere Replication appliance as you'd like.
There are settings for every such replication to create point-in-time snapshots too.

0 Kudos