hcgrobg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere replication appliance no networking detected

Rolling out vSphere Rep in 2 sites.

Running 6.5 up1 vSphere/ESXi

Installing 6.5.1 vSphere Replication

Site 1 (Main DC) Deployed OVF, VRep appliance installed without any issues.

Site 2 (DR Site) Used the same OVF as Site 1, when the appliance starts up, getting error No Networking detected. I have ran the command, but it will still not allow me to configure the network.

2018-08-09_1455.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vFantastic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Console to VRMS and login.

Get the interface names with:

/opt/vmware/share/vami/vami_interfaces

Set the IP for the desired interface with: 

/opt/vmware/share/vami/vami_set_network <interface name> STATICV4 <IP Address> <NETMASK> <GATEWAY>

Set DNS with:

/opt/vmware/share/vami/vami_set_dns -d <domain suffix> <DNS IP1> <DNS IP2>

REBOOT

Resolved the issue for me on vSphere Replication 8.4. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

19 Replies
iopsGent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So once you run this command, you don't get the menu?

/opt/vmware/share/vami/vami_config_net

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.
0 Kudos
hcgrobg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can run the cmd, it allows me to manually set the network info, but it gives an error when setting an IP to eth02018-08-09_1534.png

0 Kudos
iopsGent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try clearing the contents of this file using VI (take a copy), then reboot.

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.
0 Kudos
hcgrobg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm getting no such file or directory when trying to rum the cmd

SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you happen to deploy from the thick client?

# Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos
iopsGent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can you run a LS command and screen shot it?

0 Kudos
hcgrobg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Don't know what you mean by "thick client" Used the vSphere Web Client to import the OVF

0 Kudos
hcgrobg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

LS CMD

* just to make sure, I ran /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules on the other vrep appliance (DC side) that file does not show up either and this one configured without any issues.

2018-08-10_0757.png

0 Kudos
vdk1304
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

even i am facing same issue, kindly advice if your issue resolved.@

0 Kudos
vijayku
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

had the same issue with one of the replication appliance deployments. turned out the IP address was already in use by one other VM.

vdk1304
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

will check it thank you, any other advise to check.@

0 Kudos
vFantastic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Console to VRMS and login.

Set the IP for the desired interface with: 

/opt/vmware/share/vami/vami_set_network <interface name> STATICV4 <IP Address> <NETMASK> <GATEWAY>

Set DNS with:

/opt/vmware/share/vami/vami_set_dns -d <domain suffix> <DNS IP1> <DNS IP2>

REBOOT

Resolved the issue for me on vSphere Replication 8.4. Hope this helps.

Jason51
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you for the manual IP settings.  I have deployed two replication appliances and both needed this configuration change.

0 Kudos
lufegoec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot, The Manual IP settings Works Perfect.

0 Kudos
Jason51
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had to do this same thing again after upgrading two 8.4 appliances to the 8.5 release.  One appliance worked and one failed with network config issue.

0 Kudos
ArnoKattenpoelO
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Think I might have found the issue. After deploying the appliance, and before starting it, please have a look at configure --> "vApp options" on the VM. If you press EDIT and check the options, the IP allocation scheme should be OVF environment. So none of the options in the template regarding to IP setting will be applied if left unchecked.

And its nice to know the commands for manually adjusting them but it should not be necessary after changing this setting. Poorly tested OVA template... shame on you VMware.

marauli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@ArnoKattenpoelO wrote:

Think I might have found the issue. After deploying the appliance, and before starting it, please have a look at configure --> "vApp options" on the VM. If you press EDIT and check the options, the IP allocation scheme should be OVF environment. So none of the options in the template regarding to IP setting will be applied if left unchecked.

And its nice to know the commands for manually adjusting them but it should not be necessary after changing this setting. Poorly tested OVA template... shame on you VMware.

I was wondering why after setting static IPs on these appliances, the IPs never "stick" and I still have to set up networking... Thank you! So you're saying that if I check "OVF Environment" checkbox before powering the thing up for the first time, it'll use the static IP (and other values) I gave it during initial configuration? That's be awesome!

marauli_0-1708541237258.png

0 Kudos
marauli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am trying to deploy vrms add-on appliances into remote sites, and it looks those come w/o "vami" helper.

There's next to nothing in /opt/vmware/share/:

vSphere Replication Management Server version 8.8.0.15606

Please visit the following URL to configure this appliance:
https://localhost :5480

IPv4 Address:
IPv6 Address: ****::***:****:****:****
localhost login: root
root@localhost [ ~ ]# ls -l /opt/vmware/share/
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Nov 17 06:15 htdocs

The only thing with "vami" on the appliance is /opt/vmware/etc/vami/ with just an XML file (ovfEnv.xml) and its backup.

So how do I set an IP on this thing?

0 Kudos
marauli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So you're saying that if I check "OVF Environment" checkbox before powering the thing up for the first time, it'll use the static IP (and other values) I gave it during initial configuration? That's be awesome!

marauli_0-1708541237258.png

Alas - no. Checking the box before powering it up didn't change anything - still DHCP with none of the networking configuration parameters (not even hostname) "sticking" one it's powered up.

0 Kudos