VMware Cloud Community
Flynn_taggart
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere replication 8.3 to 8.4 upgrade

Hi all,

I am planning an upgrade of vSphere replication and SRM both from version 8.3 to 8.4. As I have more than 10 replication server to upgrade, I am bit worried of what will happen to my replication session during the upgrade.

I am wondering if after upgrading the first server from 8.3 to 8.4, the replication jobs on that server will be still running or they will be stopped until I upgrade all replication servers and SRM to 8.4. 

From what I understood from the official documentation, the replication should be still active but SRM will not work until vSphere replication and SRM will be both on 8.4. Indeed, from compatibility matrix I see that SRM and vSphere replication do not support mixed version (8.3 and 8.4) but vSphere replication does.

Any help kindly appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @Flynn_taggart ,

Existing jobs will continue to run, however you won't be able to make any changes or create any jobs. You might minor interruption when the replications services are restarted, however that should not cause any impact.

To add, ensure we follow the order of upgrade --> Order of upgrading vSphere, vSphere replication and SRM 

After upgrading VR to 8.4, there are additional actions that are required

1. Changing admin password (Steps 12 &13) --> Upgrade vSphere Replication Appliance 

2. Increase capacity of hard disk 1(Refer steps under 'What to do next' under same doc)

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
Flynn_taggart
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ,

Many thanks for your answer, it's really helpfull. I will also go trough the official documentation you shared :).

0 Kudos