VMware Cloud Community
arjanhs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere Replication

I have replicated some virtual machines using vSphere Replication, after doing a restart of the vSphere Replicaton virtual appliance, one of them isn't replicating anymore, I got the message:

Permission to perform the operation is denied

I can't remove the replication and I'm unable to change the configuration, how can I solve this problem, so I'm able to replicate the virtual machine again ?

Arjan

0 Kudos
22 Replies
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Do you use standalone VR or as part of SRM?

If the first - does this replication performed within the same VC environment or between different VCs?

By "isn't replicating anymore" does the replication results in error state?... or where do you see this permission error?

Martin Marinov VMware Software Engineer If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
arjanhs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm using the stand alone VR and the replication is done between to different VC environments. The replication has worked for some time cause the initial replication has be done. After a restart of the environment, caused by some storage changes one particular virtual machine isn't replicated anymore.

When i try to change or start the replication of the particular virtual machine, the mentioned message is showed. Other virtual machines which are replicated on the same way, are replicating without problems.

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

While installing the SRM client in the VM which is not replication , have you installed with the same user you are using with the SRM , because One of the big limitations to VMware SRM is that the user of VMware SRM must be the same as the user who installed SRM. Therefore, it is better to create a dedicated account (that has administrative permissions) and use that account for installation than to use a generic administrator account or your own personal account

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
arjanhs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm using the standalone vSphere Replication, so i haven't installed any client within the VM.

0 Kudos
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Two things come to my mind:

1) permission message is shown the new location of the VM   inherits permission roles that does not include Virtual   machine.replication.Configure replication privilege. For more   information about vSphere Replication Roles see http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.replication_admin.doc%2FGUID...

2) SDRS involved. VR is not compatible with SDRS thus I'm not sure what could happened actually.

I'd   encourage you to check what is the difference between this VM and some   other that everything is OK from host/datastore perspective.

Martin Marinov VMware Software Engineer If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
arjanhs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I will check the permissions when I'm on the customer site, currently I'm accessing the vSphere Web client with the local root account instead of a domain account. Will try the same with the domain account to.

The environment is not using SDRS.

I will post the updates when available.

0 Kudos
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, did you have any chance to check the story?

0 Kudos
arjanhs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The Customer needs to fulfil some additional requirements, I will be on site when they are fulfilled.

0 Kudos
arjanhs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have checked the configuratoin and i have used the administraotr role, which includes the needed permission. When doing a reconfigure, the following message apears:

Reconfiguration task at remote site failed for replication group 'DC01' (managed object ID: 'GID-e45d5cb5-2acf-4fb9-8a27-0827f19c9b7c'): task 'HTID-5caab9ba-5783-4407-a4d9-18c34bbe42e7'.

Cause:
VRM Server generic error. Please check the documentation for any troubleshooting information. The detailed exception is: 'Failed to resolve replication target disk for com.vmware.hms.db.entities.DiskEntity@342618238 : replicatedDiskId=RDID-e8c14d79-1213-45d4-b075-cc2a5e3c224a, deviceKey=2001, sourceDiskFileName = [esx10-local] DC01/DC01_1.vmdk, diskUUID = 6000C29c-483f-ffaa-d5c3-e7616a5dbe92, destinationDatastoreMoid = datastore-183, destinationPath = DC01, destinationDiskFileName = DC01_1.vmdk, capacityInKb = 52428800, isExcluded = false, destinationDiskType = thin, adapterType = lsiLogic, isOfflineCopy = false, vm = com.vmware.hms.db.entities.SecondaryVirtualMachineEntity: MoId = HMSVM-42c1d1df-505f-4a08-822e-fa5472f43610, locked by com.vmware.hms.db.entities.LockableEntity@52e06503'.

Is a possible solotution to Reset the Embedded Database, after that i need to reconfigure the replicaton, but will it work after that?

0 Kudos
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'll dig further into this but it might be a good idea to move this discussion to the vSphere Replication community for better response.

0 Kudos
arjanhs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's ok to move the thread, but I don't know how to move it.

From two of the eight replicated machines, II'm unable to change anything, when I try to reconfigure, I got the message access denied.

0 Kudos
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As you started the discussion, you should have move discussion action in your Actions panel on the right.

0 Kudos
arjanhs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When trying to reconfigure a replicated virtual machine, the message from the picture is displayed.

0 Kudos
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

You could grep VRMS logs for NoPermission and see the vCenter Server managed object id and privilegeId. Having the vCenter Server managed object id, you could lookup the object though the vCenter Server MOB https://vc_ip/mob/?moid=<managed object id value> - it could be a datastore, a host, a vm or other.

The logs are located at /opt/vmware/hms/logs/ at the VR appliance.

Please repeat this for the VR appliance at the primary site and for the VR appliance at the secondary site.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
arjanhs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have done the grep, but i don't get any usefull information back.

0 Kudos
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

How about grep -C 15 NoPermission hms.log - so that the lines around can be seen?

0 Kudos
arjanhs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Now i got some output, thanks.

When i access the vcenter server with https://vcenter02/mob/?moid=@6e3a094c no output is displayed

0 Kudos
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Unfortunatelly it appears that the object property logged for the NoPermission does not reveal the real object (its type, value and server uuid). This is improved in the upcoming 2013 release.

From the log excerpts I can say that there is issue in the communication between the two VRM servers (the NotAuthenticated error which inherits the NoPermission).

Please open an SR and attach VR support bundles for both the primary site and the secondary site:

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/topic/com.vmware.vsphere.replication_admin.doc/GUID-98AFCDF0-7FBB-...

This might be a known issue that will be fixed in 5.1.1 release. A workaround that can be tried is to not restart the VRM servers at the same time, i.e. restart one of them, wait a couple of minutes and then restart the other (/etc/init.d/hms restart after SSH login at the VR appliance).

If there were other NoPermission errors, you could copy all the .gz files from /opt/vmware/hms/logs/ (for example to /tmp/), gunzip them and grep there:

mkdir /tmp/logs-unpacked

cd /tmp/logs-unpacked

cp /opt/vmware/hms/*.gz .

gunzip *.gz

grep -C 15 NoPermission *.log

cd /tmp

rm -r logs-unpacked

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
arjanhs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What will happen when I do a reset of the database and start over, will it sole me problem, cause it worked for some time?

Is resetting the database and removing the replicated virtual machines enough?

0 Kudos