VMware Cloud Community
Nos205
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere Replication error

Hello,

Receiving an error when trying to replicate a particular VM where I'm not quite sure what the problem is?

"Replication is not supported for disk with device key 2004. Capacity, specified in bytes (370655792640), cannot be converted to capacity, specified in kilobytes (361968547). Remainder from division is 512 bytes."

I know which VMDK its referring to and we are not changing its disk type or anything.

As anyone had this message before?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

It's reporting an error about the VM disk capacity. Please go to edit settings of the VM and check if any of the disk size is reported in decimals.

For example: 30.2343355 GB. If yes, increase the capacity to remove the decimals. For example: 31 Gb.

Once the disk capacity is corrected, try to configure replication

I hope that helps

View solution in original post

8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Thread moved to the vSphere Replication area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Rogeriosales
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello , Nos205.

Check that there are no vmdk with the same name but in different datastores at source. Perhaps this is a conflict at the destination. In that case try to change the name of one of the vmdk in the source and redo the replication of this VM.

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

It's reporting an error about the VM disk capacity. Please go to edit settings of the VM and check if any of the disk size is reported in decimals.

For example: 30.2343355 GB. If yes, increase the capacity to remove the decimals. For example: 31 Gb.

Once the disk capacity is corrected, try to configure replication

I hope that helps

Nos205
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. We finally managed to increase the vmdk to a whole number and this fixed the problem. I since found out the VM had originally been P2V so the non-whole disk size was probably a result of that.

0 Kudos
grsoo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, I have the same problem. 

Disk: 2,400000000372529 TB

I try set 2,5 TB. After that, size again 2,5000...
You set a value in special way  ? 
I would be grateful for help.

0 Kudos
ITRRC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI,

Same issue here too.

I even moved the VM to a VMFS v6 datastore and resized the offending disk and no luck...

I did get it to work however: Solution is to resize offending disk up, round up to 3 decimal places,
MUST be done on the ESX host as vCentre just ends up with many decimal places again...

N

0 Kudos
ajitgupta
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You have to resize in GB's not in TB's so if it is 2.760000000242144 TB which equals = 2826.24 Gb . Then make it 2827 GB .

0 Kudos