VMware Cloud Community
P0RCH
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Replication at multiple regional sites

Hey,

I am trying to come up with a plan for setting up replication at 7 regional sites for my organization. We have one vCenter server running that manages our main site and also the VMs at the 7 regional sites. My first thought was to install the replication appliance at the main site and have that manage the replications for every site (there will be about 25 VMs being replicated). I plan to store the replicated VM files on NAS devices located at each site.In reading some documentation, I found out that what ever is replicated will be sent over the WAN to the replication server-at the main site and then back to the regional sites. Is my understanding of this right?

If everything will be sent back to the main site, my next thought would be to install a replication appliance at each regional site. There would be 7 replication servers being managed by the one vCenter server at the main campus. Each replicated VM will be stored locally on NAS devices. Would this set up cause any problems or issues?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Yes, it would be good to have a VR server next to each target site, so that data does not traverse unnecessarily to other sites.

Please keep in mind that VR appliance 5.1 contains both VRMS + VR server and you can have only a single VRMS per vCenter Server.

Using VR 5.1 without SRM, you can not have additional VR servers (there is no option in the Web client UI for VR to deploy and register additional VR servers).

If using SRM 5.0 or 5.1 with VR, you can deploy additional VR servers.

Also, in the upcoming 5.5 release of VR, you will be able to deploy additional VR servers.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos