VMware Cloud Community
abckdc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere Replication RPO

Hello All,

I am new to vSphere Replication. I have just configured vSphere Replication in my test lab and its working great. I have studied some documentation regarding vSphere Replication RPO and its confusing me. Lets say I am replicating a VM with 5 minutes RPO. Does this mean that it will sync on every 5 minutes or the sync can occur any time within the timeframe ( requirement being changes can not be older than 5 minutes). If a VM starts replication at 12:00 then will the VM resync at every 5 minutes being 12:05, 12:10 etc. or the resync can happen at any time. If it took only a minute to sync data between the sites lets say 12:01 will it wait for the RPO time to pass i.e. 12:05 to resync the data or it can resync the data again at 12:03 or 12:04. 

I will be very grateful for any response.

Thank You.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
D_G_Tal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi,

vSphere Replication does not adhere to a strict replication schedule. For example, when you set the RPO to 15 minutes, you instruct vSphere Replication that you can tolerate losing the data for up to 15 minutes. This does not mean that data is replicated every 15 minutes. 

You set the RPO to 15 minutes. If the synchronization starts at 12:00 and it takes five minutes to transfer to the target site, the instance becomes available on the target site at 12:05, but it reflects the state of the virtual machine at 12:00. The next synchronization can start no later than 12:10. This replication instance is then available at 12:15 when the first replication instance that started at 12:00 expires.

thanks

View solution in original post

4 Replies
D_G_Tal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi,

vSphere Replication does not adhere to a strict replication schedule. For example, when you set the RPO to 15 minutes, you instruct vSphere Replication that you can tolerate losing the data for up to 15 minutes. This does not mean that data is replicated every 15 minutes. 

You set the RPO to 15 minutes. If the synchronization starts at 12:00 and it takes five minutes to transfer to the target site, the instance becomes available on the target site at 12:05, but it reflects the state of the virtual machine at 12:00. The next synchronization can start no later than 12:10. This replication instance is then available at 12:15 when the first replication instance that started at 12:00 expires.

thanks

abckdc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you very much for the response. So, this means that sync can occur regardless of the mentioned RPO time, only requiremnet being that it must always meet the set RPO time. "The next synchronization can start no later than 12:10." Can you please elaborate more in the mentioned statement. Do you mean 12:15 or 12:10. If the sync can occur after 12:10 does this mean that even though we have set the RPO to 15 min, multiple sync can occur during that 15 min time frame i.e. from 12:00 to 12:15.

Thank You again for the response.

0 Kudos
D_G_Tal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi again 

your question : Do you mean 12:15 or 12:10 ?? of course it must be 12:10 because as I mention in last comment. Vmware understand that for replication need 5 min ( transfer time ) so base on RPO that set to 15min , next replication must start at 12:10 + 5min for transfer = 12:15 

RPO.png

abckdc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Thank you very much for the detail information.

Thank You Agian.

0 Kudos